Two

"Wakey, wakey Mack! We made your favorite!"

I groaned, wanting just a few more hours of sleep since I hadn't gotten much last night. I shivered as the images from my nightmare flashed through my mind.

I hate my siblings.

"Can you please, for just this once, let me sleep in on a Saturday morning?"

I opened my eyes and looked at the three of my five siblings that surrounded me as I lay in bed half awake.

Matthew stood there with a smile on his face, but his eyes were filled with concern from last night. In his hands, he held a plate of French Toast, bacon, and scrambled eggs.

My older brother, Joseph, stood with a bright, happy smile on his face. He's twenty-four and designs lego sets for a living. There is no better job than getting paid to play with legos.

Then, my younger sister, Arabella. She is twenty years old and is ten times prettier than me. She is about to graduate college with an early childhood education degree. Basically, she is gonna teach twenty screaming five-year-olds their ABC's and 123's for the rest of her life.

"Mack. Today's the day. Come on, get up!"

Today's the day? I sifted through my mental calendar, and then it dawned on me.

"Oh shit! Move, let me go get dressed!"

I sprang out of bed, pushed passed Joey, and ran into my bathroom.

After showering and brushing my teeth, I combed my wavy, mid-length, dirty blonde hair and tossed it over my shoulders. I grabbed shorts and a random t-shirt, throwing them on before rushing downstairs, where my plate of food was waiting for me.
After shoveling my breakfast into my mouth, I slipped my shoes on and grabbed a sweatshirt, following Bella, Joey, and Matthew into the car.

The car ride wouldn't have felt as long if Arabella hadn't been singing children's songs the entire time to get our opinions on them this entire time.

I look over, mentally cringing as my younger sister sings the months of the year to the macarena, and danced along with it.

There was definitely a genetic mix up somewhere along the lines because I am not related to that.

"Okay. Arabella. We are here. Please, shut the hell up."

Joey huffed as he ripped the keys from the ignition, stepping out of the car and marching up to the house.

"I would like to mention, as usual, how much I freaking love Liz's life."

I rolled my eyes as Arabella and I climbed out of the car.

Elizabeth is the oldest of the six of us. She is married to her super hot, super smart, and overall amazing husband, Carson, and they have a two-year-old daughter, Artemis. Liz is a cardiothoracic surgeon and Carson is a OBGYN.

Long story short, their relationship is "goals" and they are rich surgeons.

I walked into the house and kicked my shoes off, going over and sitting on the couch.

"Mack. Matt told me about what happened last night."

I looked up from my phone, making eye contact with Liz, who was holding Artie in her arms, a soft smile on her face.

"It's fine. I'm okay. Really. I promise."
Liz shook her head and walked over, sitting Artie on her lap as she plopped down next to me.

"It's okay to still be upset. That was a terrible day for all of us, but it was traumatizing for you. Mack. It's okay. We are all here for you."

I smiled, letting a single tear fall down my cheek before laughing slightly as Artie reached towards me.

I grabbed ahold of my precious goddaughter, smiling as she wiped away my tears.

"Mack no cry. Cry bad."

I smiled at her baby voice, kissing her nose, making her scrunch it up and squeal.

She wrapped her arms around my neck, kissing my cheek, and squeezing me with her little arms.

"I love you Auntie Mack."

"Awe. I love you to Artie."

I smiled and continued to play with Artie as we waited for Dylan.

Speak of the devil...

"Dylan!"

I smiled as Artie jumped off my lap and ran as fast as her little legs could take her, jumping into my younger brother's arms, who scooped her up and spun her around, making her giggle and squeal nonstop.

"Alright, go see mommy for a bit so I can hug other people too."

"Okay Unca Dyl."

Dylan set Artie down, who ran away, disappearing around the corner.

"Are you gonna be okay?"

I gave Dylan a look as I crossed my arms and gave him a death glare.

"Yes. I'm 100% comfortable with my baby brother being shipped off to a country halfway across the fucking globe where random people will be shooting at him in an attempt to kill him."

Dylan laughed and walked over to me, wrapping my petite figure in his arms.

"I'm gonna be fine."

"If I get a phone call that you're dead I'm resurrecting you and murdering you, then resurrecting you again, and murdering you a second time."

"I'm coming home."

I pulled away from Dylan and wiped my tears.

"She would've been proud."

He smiled, tears brimming his eyes as he spoke.

"Yeah. After she beat my ass for joining the military in the first place."

We laughed, hugging one last time before everyone else came in too.

The next two hours were spent eating, laughing, crying, and being together.

But, much to our despair, Dylan had to leave.

"I'll write and call whenever I can. Keep my updated on my baby girl with pictures please. Tell Lena I love her."

Lena is his long-term girlfriend. They spent the past four nights together, just the two of them, and they said their goodbyes last night.

I wanna puke thinking about it.

"We love you Dyl."

There we sat, the five of us, watching the baby of us all climb into a jeep where four other guys sat, clad in green camo just like him.

"He's gonna be fine."

Liz closed her eyes, repeating the four words multiple times as the five of us wrapped our arms around each other, clinging together.

He's going to be fine.
-------------------------------
WC: 1038

What did you think?

This chapter was more of a get to know some of the key characters kind of thing.

I feel like this chapter was kind of, unimportant, but it gives you an idea of Mack's family and her life.

Comment, vote, and follow!

Instagram: ellie.ackerson

xoxo
-Ellie