“How peculiar,” she murmured. “I hadn’t even realised. I do believe I am quite nervous.”

“It would be strange were you not,” Sebastian pointed out.

Her lips wobbled with a tremulous smile. “You’re right, of course.”

“I always am.”

Her eyes, he thought, strayed reluctantly to where her thoughts must reside- his bed- and he watched in amusement as she fidgeted with her hands, folding them and unfolding, rubbing her wrists, fiddling with her skirts… Yes, she was nervous, anxious even, and clearly unashamed to let him know it.

He loved her more for it, if that were possible. Tenderly, he bracketed her face and tilted her gaze to his. The vibrancy of her green eyes nearly took his breath away, the large dilation of her pupils indicative of the shadows hovering in his chambers and her anticipation of what was to come. “Don’t be afraid of me, sweetheart,” he told her gently, the pad of his thumb stroking the curve of her cheek rhythmically, comfortingly.

Her sooty lashes converged in a blink, laying thick shadows against her skin. He watched the action, mesmerized by its artless seduction, transfixed by her sheer presence, her willingness to come to him. Even if she could not love him yet, it was a start. It had to be a start, it had to mean something. Sebastian could not accept that she felt nothing for him- she was sensible. She wouldn’t throw her virginity at any man who offered for it. Emily had to have some fondness towards him that guided her here this evening.

“I’m not,” she said, a tremor in her voice falsifying her statement. A small blush caught his attention, her skin darkening under the caress of his thumbs.

“What are you thinking, Em?”

Her eyes flicked unhesitatingly to his bed and lingered there, puzzling and amusing him. Maybe she only anticipated what was to come and not feared it. Maybe he’d misinterpreted-

“Are you going to ravish me now?”

He choked. “W-what?”

Her gaze returned, wide and steady. “You said that if I came to you again, in your chambers, you would not hesitate in ravishing me,” she explained flatly. “Is that what you are going to do now?”

Sebastian laughed. “Just what,” he chuckled, “is it you think will transpire between us this evening?”

She gave him a perplexed frown. “Are you mocking me?”

“No, indeed not. In fact, I find you rather charming. Pray tell, what would you expect from this ravishment I am about to give you?”

“Sebastian,” she warned, ridiculously crossing her arms under her breasts while her face was still cupped in his hands. The image she presented inspired the urge to laugh in Sebastian, but he refrained, knowing she’d interpret the gesture incorrectly. “Surely you should be telling me this.”

“I’m curious about what you think.”

“Very well.” She tapped her foot, frustrated and contemplative. “I’d rather expect that you’d kiss me, like you’ve done before.”

“Mmm.” He leaned close and brushed his lips against hers. “Like that?”

Her eyes were wide, almost startled, and Sebastian realised he’d caught her off-guard. “Y-yes, I suppose,” she agreed. “But… more.”

“More?” He cocked a brow in query.

She narrowed her eyes. “Yes, more.” Her slim shoulders lifted in a shrug. “You know, with your tongue.” An incredibly sweet blush swept across her skin and she looked terribly discomforted at having uttered something so scandalous, which only made Sebastian’s longing increase tenfold. He kept it in check, though, and bit back a smile.