"It might have been a blessing for her," one commented, his tone caustic. "We don't need her type here."

"Her type?" D'Artagnan repeated in furious astonishment. "She is just a child! She couldn't possibly have done anything that wrong. You would just stand by while bullies nearly drown her?"

"D'Artagnan, leave it," Aramis called over seriously. The former priest straightened up and held his hand out to Adélie. "We shall take you home, Mademoiselle Adélie, and make sure no one comes to torment you again."

Again, Adélie stared at him. Slowly, the child's eyes brightened as she seemed to realize he was serious and she put her muddy hand in Aramis'. "This way, Monsieur," she said, pulling him forward. "I will show you the way."

Giving the unashamed villagers one last glare, D'Artagnan trailed after his friend and the little girl. She led them out of the village, making straight for a small cottage that stood some not too far away. There was only the slightest of paths that the child followed.

"Adélie, do the other children often torment you like that?" Aramis asked gently.

"Yes," Adélie answered, very quietly. She bit her lip and then burst out, "I know I'm not supposed to go to the village alone, but there's no one to play with and...and I thought maybe this time they wouldn't be mean to me or call me names."

Aramis nodded, looking grave. D'Artagnan frowned, trying to figure out his friend was trying to learn from the girl. "Do you live with your parents here?" Aramis next asked, gesturing to the cottage they were approaching.

Adélie shook her head. "It's just me and Kitty," she said. She broke away from Aramis and ram for the door. "Kitty! Kitty! I brought two messieurs! They saved me!"

Moments later, just as the girl reached the door, a young woman dressed in a plain brown dress appeared. "Adélie! Look at yourself !" she exclaimed, crouching down. She grabbed the child's arms to hold her still. "What have I said about going into the village? Do you enjoy being tormented so?"

"I just wanted-."

"Go to your room and get yourself clean," the woman ordered, standing up. It was only then, as Adélie slipped inside, that the woman noticed the two musketeers. "Messieurs!"

"Madame," Aramis said, giving a half bow. "I am Aramis and this is D'Artagnan. We saw Little Adélie being bullied and chased off the boys before she was seriously harmed."

"Oh," the woman said, reaching a hand up to her fair hair self-consciously. "Then, I must thank you. Please come in and have some wine."

She stepped back to allow them to enter. She hurried into the kitchen and the two men followed her. The cottage was small and well kept, though furnishings were sparse. "I have told Adélie time and again to only go with me into the village," the woman said, searching in a cupboard. She pulled a bottle out and blew dust off it. "I am Kitty Villeux by the way."

"You are not Adélie's mother?" D'Artagnan asked.

Pausing, the woman shook her head vigorously. "Oh, no, monsieur!" she said. "I just care for and teach her as best as I can." She set two wooden goblets on the table. There was thud from over head. "Adélie!" Mademoiselle Villeux exclaimed. "Excuse me, messieurs."

She hurried out of the kitchen. Aramis opened the wine and poured a very small amount into the goblets. The bottle was nearly empty as it was. "What are you doing?" D'Artagnan asked as Aramis began opening cupboards. "You can't just go through someone's kitchen!"

"As I thought," Aramis said, ignoring his friend and taking a very quick survey of what the kitchen contained. "Did you notice how very small and skinny Adélie is? They are just about out of food."