Chapter 2 - Dinner at the Styles'

Klaire's POV

**3 weeks later**

"Hey Gem." I say walking up to Gemma before School starts.

"Hey, I was wondering if you wanted to come over after school tonight? My mum wants to meet you." She says all giddily.

I smile at the thought. Gemma is my best friend here in Holmes Chapel. She is one of my only friends really. Don't get me wrong Alice and Raina are my friends but we aren't super close.

This is my first time Gemma has invited me over, so I get to meet her family for the first time. Also not having to be either home alone or with my father for a while after school is a bonus.

"I would love to, let me just check with my dad." I say not wanting my dad to be mad at me for not telling him. I don't get it, he can careless if I spend three straight days home alone. But if I go to my friends house and I forget to tell him he will beat the crap out of me.

"Great, if your aloud you can just walk home with me and my little brother."

"You have a little brother?" I ask confused. She never told me she had a little brother. I always wanted a younger sibling, but I am glad I don't have one because it wouldn't be fair for someone else to also go through what I have to.

"Yeah, his name is Harry, he's eight." She answers. "He is in third grade."

The rest of the day has gone by slow. I can't wait to go over Gemma house. I have been excited and thinking about it all day. I used to go over my friends house all the time.

:-:-:-:-:

The dismissal bell just rang and I am putting my folder and books in my bag. The weather is nice and about 60 degrees out so I am only wearing a light jacket. "Hey, call your dad to ask if you can come over." Gemma says walking up and standing next to me.

"I'm on it." I say and take out my cell phone. I dial my dad's number and wait for him to pick up.

"Hello?" I hear my did slur after four rings. Of course he is drunk, it's only 3:30 (note the sarcasm).

"Hey dad, do you mind if I walk to Gemma's house and stay over there for dinner?" I ask hoping he will say yes.

"Do you really think I care what you do?" He ask harshly, I take that as a yes.

"Okay thanks dad, bye." I can't let Gemma know what he said because she might question it. So I just ay it of like he said "I don't mind at all, have fun sweetie."

"Whatever." he huffs and hangs up.

"I can come over!" I say after I end the call.

"Perfect, we have to meet my brother at the front if the school then we will walk home." She says smiling.

I nod my head and we walk out of the classroom towards the front doors. When we walked out the front doors I saw a little boy sitting on a bench working on homework. He had short brown hair and green eyes. He looks a lot like Gemma.Gemma and I walk over there. He looks up and gives us a toothy smile. I has little dimples just like Gemma, he has one if his front bottom teeth also missing.

"Hey Harry." Gemma greets him.

"Hi." he replies.

"Harry, this is Klaire, Klaire this is my little brother Harry." She introduces us.

"Hi Harry." I say to him

"Hello."

"Klaire is going to walk home with us and have dinner at our house." Gemma tells Harry