Organizations, Information & Stuff like that

The JAG and CASA organizations mentioned in Waiting on Justin are actual organizations actively working to keep high-risk youth safe. Please use the information listed below to learn more about their organizations and contribute in the way that is easiest for you. And if you suspect child abuse make a call: 1-800-4-A-CHILD. You can remain anonymous and the state will investigate if the allegations warrant it. And remember tough kids usually have tough lives, let them talk and when they do, listen, you can change their life.

Jobs for America's Graduates (JAG):

JAG is a state-based national non-profit organization dedicated to preventing dropouts among young people who are most at-risk. In more than three decades of operation, JAG has delivered consistent, compelling results – helping nearly three-quarters of a million young people stay in school through graduation, pursue postsecondary education and secure quality entry-level jobs leading to career advancement opportunities.

Chelan-Douglas CASA organization:

Imagine the experience of children who are removed from their homes because the people responsible for protecting them have not. These children find themselves in a world filled with social workers, lawyers, judges and courtrooms where life-altering decisions are made on their behalf. A CASA volunteer is a court appointed, trained and committed adult who ensures that each child's individual needs remain a priority in an over-burdened child welfare system. They get to know the child while also gathering information from the child's family, teachers, doctors, care-givers and anyone else involved in the child's life in order to make independent and informed recommendations to help the judge decide what's best for the child. CASA volunteers come from every walk of life and share a commitment to improving children's lives, a willingness to learn, and an open mind towards life experiences different from their own. For children who have been abused or neglected, CASA means having a home instead of feeling lost, of being a priority instead of feeling invisible. For volunteers, CASA is a life-changing experience that makes our community a better place. If you are looking for a meaningful and enriching volunteer opportunity in the Chelan-Douglas area and want to do something about child abuse, CASA is right for you. Our case load is up year over year, and we have an increasing need for CASA volunteers. Our vision is to provide a trained volunteer advocate, a safe home and a promising future for every child who needs us. In 2013 we had 193 children taken from their homes requiring assistance. We hope you decide to join our community of volunteers and help ensure that every child has an adult they can rely on. To learn more about your commitment.

For more information on how to volunteer visit: www.casaforchildren.org