The Party

Ward round at 7am, board meeting at 8am, C-section at 10am, Open-day at the children's school at 12noon and back to the hospital before 2pm. Summer signed as the car pulled up in a stop sign.
It was already past 12midnight and she was yet to reach home.
The children would be fast asleep by now after trying hard to stay awake and hear about her day. Even though they understood little to nothing about her work, they seemed to love listening to her voice drone on and on until they fall asleep. A good thing it is, that she had hired a sitter for them as her housekeeper was visiting her family. She had some vacation time coming up and she planned to take the children on a vacation spot of their choice. she owed them that much. They were basically her life. Not to get her wrong, she loved her job, but family always came first with her. She had been a good wife to a caring and wonderful man who had understood her far greater than any man could have, and a good younger sister to his son, Benjamin who was five years older than her. Cole had loved her in his own way, and she had cared deeply about him despite the 45years age interval between them. People had called her different sorts of names including opportunist and gold digger, she had ignored them all and mastered the cold look she bestowed upon those who tried meddling in her personal life. This had given her the nickname ice princess but she acted like she didn't know that was what they called her when they thought she wasn't looking.
The day hadn't gone as she had planned. At the beginning, everything seemed to have gone pretty well for her. She had gotten to the clinic very early as the children were on mid-term break and no extra time was spent trying to cajole them into their uniforms and force breakfast into their throats. work had gone on fine for her. she had then returned home at 4pm to get dressed for her promotion party slash "welcome the new gynaecologist" party and everything had gone south from there on.
Firstly, the twins had refused to allow her dress up on time. They had come up with various reasons, ranging from non-existent headaches to imaginary stomach pains, why they needed to be held and told stories for almost two hours until they went with their sitter after the promise of ice cream. she then had to rush to dress up which entailed running a comb through her hair as there was no more time to style it into the stiff knots she always did, putting on the first gown she saw in her closet, and rubbing nude lipstick on her lips, she had rushed out of the house and into her red convertible  hoping she was not going to be obviously late. Tardiness wasn't something she tolerated.
Several minutes later she had gotten to the party venue already exhausted even before the party was in full swing. She ignored the admiring looks she received from men and the envious looks from their female partners partly because she had gotten used to them and partly because she did not care. At 28years of age and with two children, Summer still had the figure that turned heads. she was a tall lady of 5'11" and proportionately shaped. Her hair was naturally golden with highlights of rich brown in them and soft curls in them. As she walked into the party hall, several heads turned but she had spotted her only friend Tina and walked purposefully towards her. Tina was a sweet petit colleague of hers with massive curves and temper as fiery as her red hair. she was flamboyant but had a very sharp brain and that had been what made them close friends from the start. Tina was just married and already expecting her first issue, and she physically glowed.
"oh, you took your sweet time getting here" Tina said as she unceremoniously parted d chair beside her for her friend to hop in. "hope my little angels are fine?".
"More like sweet little demons". Summer settled herself down and took a sip of the champagne a waiter dropped on her hands. "you wouldn't believe all sorts of ridiculous stories they made up just to make me stay with them. Brianna actually said there was a monster in her stomach that needed to sleep and wouldn't sleep if I didn't cuddle her and sing, then Brian said he had a headache because a tree was growing in his head". Tina had laughed and unconsciously rubbed her stomach. "Keep laughing, yours is on the way". The two had quieted down as the Mc picked the mic.
Tina had left few hours later and Kelly was extremely bored. Parties weren't really her thing and she had avoided them like a plague ever since Reunion. But there was no way around this one especially since it was being held partly because of her. One hour into the party and she was already bored and tired. she had received as many congratulations as she could take in one night and her mouth was beginning to ache from the fake smile she had pasted on her face. Her feet were already aching and she was trying her best not to yawn. The only reason she was still at the party was because she was to welcome their new addition to the senior team.
She really knew nothing about this "necessary addition", as the MD had put it. All she knew was that he was a gynaecologist who had recently just moved into their small town with his young daughter. Nothing had been said about his wife and she had been too tired to even enquire about his name. what did she care anyway? All she was interested in was his dedication to his work and nothing else. She couldn't remember the last time she was interested in any man romantically and she wasn't planning to start now she thought to herself.
Finally it was time to introduce their "mystery addition" and she suddenly felt better thinking of the embrace she would soon get from her soft bed. She paid little attention to the Md as he praised the new doctor and listed out his numerous achievements.
Summer was secretly impressed but her face showed no expression as she had practiced over the years. Anyone looking at her would think she hardly heard a word.
"Let us all rise to welcome our very own Dr Eric Grayson" the Md had said and time had stopped for Summer. Was it possible? Could Eric really be back?Or were her ears deceiving her? Could her greatest fear have become a reality? those thoughts swirled around Summer's head until she felt faint.
it had taken some minutes for her to calm her nerves down and put on a blank expression. she had then walked with stoic to the stage, gave him a firm handshake, murmured a few congratulatory remarks and walked off. Summer had bristled a little when he hadn't even looked a little shocked to see her. Not even a hint of recognition had crossed his face when she had walked up to him. Anyone looking at the pair would think that was the first time they were meeting. but it wasn't so. he had come from way back and had once been best of friends. Not long after that, she had left the party and headed home.
Well, it was all for the best, she told herself as she packed in her garage. She walked wearily into the house and met the nanny fast asleep on the coach with a horror movie playing on the tv screen. quietly she switched off the TV, went to check in on the kids and went to bed. the last thing on her mind before sleep claimed her was how she was going to keep her children a secret while working closely with their father. She would just have to avoid him at all cost she thought. After all, they didn't call her the ice princess for nothing.

* * *
"You are already running late Eric, You can read the paper when you return sir"
"Yea, I guess so".
Eric reluctantly folded the newspaper. He had never enjoyed being the centre of attention and avoided going for parties as much as possible. but he had little to no choice here as he was part of the reason the party was being held.
"May, help Sonia unpack her things, but you can leave the remaining boxes unpacked. Some people will be here to do that."
"Yes Sir"
"Also, help give my kisses to Sonia when she wakes up, tell her I wont stay out late today"
"I won't hold my breath sir"
"Whatever, I will try my best to be back before its her bedtime."
May just smirked and shook her head while continuing with her chores. Martha had been a permanent fixture in their lives. She was more than the housekeeper and had supported them in more crises than he could remember. Her only fault was that she always spoke her mind and that hadn't sat well with his ex-wife Denise. If Denise had had her way, Martha would have been out of their lives by now, but Eric had always been a total package which included Martha. As Martha had been with him for as long as he could remember and Denise had finally given up on trying to send her away. But that never stopped her from always grumbling and picking up fights with Martha. Martha always ignored her like a plague.
Despite his delay tactics, Eric had gotten to the party pretty early, but thankfully this used to be his home town and he could still recognise some faces. He spotted his ken, one of his bestfriends in school and bestman at his wedding , with some friends and walked up to them. Ken's family had moved in when he was in medical school and they had become good friends since then. He was now a pediatrist. With Ken working side by side with him, he was sure his transition to this new hospital environment would be easier.
"Hey, Eric my man, wonderful that you could grace us with your presence, considering that we are all jobless doctors and had nothing better to do than welcome you".
"Ken Ken sarcasm still giving you a tough time I see".
The group busted into laughter as they introduced themselves. There were three men and were all in the medical profession. Before long he started to relax as the men bantered to and fro among themselves. As Ken excused himself to make a call, he let his eyes wander around at the other guests and his newly acquired friends began to run commentary on them. As his gaze landed on a fairly tall lady with perfect shapes and porcelain-looking skin his mouth went dry and he wondered to himself what a model would be doing in a party comprising mainly of people in the medical professions. Her side were turned to him and so he couldn't view her face. but instinct told him she would be gorgeous. she carried herself with so much elegance that she would have been intimidating to a lesser man. Well, it was all good he thought to himself, as he was off ladies now. he was going to concentrate on his work and his daughter.
Immediately his friends noticed where his gaze was, they all began to talk at once.
"Eric, don't even disturb yourself, remove your sights from there"
"She is as cold as ice"
"One look from her and you would freeze"
"Ignore the beautiful packaging, everything in there is frozen. Believe me, we have all tried and none of us got past our first sentence"
"But, funny enough, she seemed to be courteous towards Ken at least"
"Maybe she has a thing for Ken"
Ken had just walked in then and inquired who had a thing for him.
"The Ice princess" they all echoed.
Ken's expression became shuttered immediately and he looked somehow guilty. Eric was still wondering at his strange behaviour when the ice princess turned towards him. He froze. She wasn't just beautiful, she was gorgeous and really familiar. She looked like a polished version of Summer, no it couldn't be. Summer would rather be in baggy jeans and oversized top. moreover summer had been toothpick-thin when he had last seen her.
"That is Summer White" Ken reluctantly said.
"Summer white or Summer Bradley?"
Ken shrugged and ignored his question. Before he could press for more information, the Mc had called him to be welcomed and lo and behold it was Summer coming to welcome him. He was dazed at the transformation. But as she shook his hands, not even a flicker of recognition crossed her features. He almost felt cold. And then she was releasing him and walking away. He was just stunned watching her as she walked away.
Wow, now he knew why she was called the ice princess, he just couldn't figure out how this summer was his own summer. He guessed he would just have to find out.