Rocky: Puddles and Louis Vuitton

Bella had dreamed of this moment all her life.

Well, perhaps not this precise moment- she was wrestling her backpack out of the boot of the taxi but for the

fourteen years, four months and seventeen days she had dreamed of arriving to start her first term at stage school.

   Even thinking the words stage school sent a thrill of excitement rippling down her spine.

   And it wasnt just any stage school.  The Garrick School of the Performing Arts in central America was only the most famous, the oldest, the generally-all-round-coolest-and-best stage school in the country, if not in the known universe.  No wonder people called it Star Academy. The Stars had produced enough stars to fill a whole new galaxy!

   As she gazed up at the grand school building, the rose coloured brickwork glowing softly in the September sunshine, Bella could still hardly believe her luck. If Miss Toft, her music teacher since middle school hadnt ignited her passion for singing she wouldn't have been here today. The judging panel had included two dance teachers from the Stars, and the prize was a schlorship to the famous school.  The Stars didnt admit students until year eight; so today Bella was just one of eighty twelve- and thirteen years old students arriving to begin their first year- and their new life - at Star Academy.

The backpack was wedged firmly against a holdall full of clothes and was refusing to budge . Mum had disappeared through the imposing double front doors of the school to let them know that Bella had arrived, and the taxi driver was nowhere to be seen. It was an enormous backpack- the kind a family of four might take for a month-long  camping trip to Outer Mongolia. At a pinch , theyd probably be able to camp in the backpack.

 Summoning up every ounce of strength in her petite, fire-boned  frame , Bella grabbed the shoulder strap with both hands and gave an enourmous heave. 

"Yes!" she shouted at the backpack shout out of the boot and over her shoulder.

And crash-landed in a puddle the size of a small lake 

SPLASH

"Eeeuuu-arggghhhh!"

The sound was a cross between the dying squawk of a strangled parrot and the mating cry of a howler monkey. Hardly daring to look , Bella turned around . 

  On the far side of the puddle sttod a matching set of lugggage in soft beige leather; three suitcases , a vanity case and two hat boxes. Muddy water was polka dotted across every single one of them.

 Not to mention the cream suede boots of their owner. Very slowly Bella lifted her eyes from the boots to the face of the girl wearing them; a tall girl with curly long red hair . Her eyes were the cold blue of a gas flame. There was only one word to describe her expression ; furious

"I-Im so sorry. It just came oof my hand......" Bella stammered, staring at the torn srip of canvas still clenched in her fist. she couldnt believe it! she'd been determined to leave her clumsiness behind when she started at the Stars, and here she was, in the running for the Klutz of the Year award before she'd even gotten into the door!

 "Sorry? Oh you will be , Furious Girl spat. "Thats Louis Vuitton!"

"Oh no! Where? Bella gasped, looking round to see who else she had managed to drench. Then she realized the girl was talking about her designer suitcases. She felt a blush begin to creep across her face;

  "I dont suppose you have any idea how much this luggage costs," Furious Girl snapped, "but ill be sending you the cleaning bill , you clumsy, little -"

How is it that i keep bumping into this girl

  An even taller girl suddenly stepped out of a gleaming black mercedes. She had black wavy hair in two long plaits under a red beanie that was perfectly plain but somehow had style written all over it. She removed her designer sunglasses, took a sip from her mineral bottle and sized up the situation.

"Hey girl, lucky theyre only last years designs!" Rocky spoke with the kind of accent Bella recognized from American TV shows.

"Now, if it was this seasons collection, i can see how you might be a little mad about it!"

"Yeah right like youd know what this seasons Louis Vuitton looks like!" Furious Girl snarled. "Its not even in the shops yet!"

Rocky smiled and swept a perfectly manicured hand torwards the tiny vanity case she was towing behind her. She stepped aside to reaveal a set of matching luggage behind stacked into a teetering mountain by a uniformed chauffuer and a large man wearing a turban.

so thats where my taxi driver got to, Bella thought.

Bella wouldnt honestly have known the difference between this seasons Louis Vuitton and lasts season TopShop, but the look on Furious Girls face left her in no doubt; the luggage mountain was the genuine article.

Raising one eyebrow a fraction, Rocky smiled at Bella , "Hey stranger" she said with a friendly if not formal hand shake. Turning torwards Furious Girl, she held out her hand again. "And you are....."

But the owner of last seasons luggage had vanished.

"......really quite annoyed!" Bella answered on her behalf. Rocky grinned. She turned to the taxi driver and waved a ten dollar tip in front of his nose. He and the Mercedes chaffuer scooped up the suitcases and staggered after her.

Bella watched in hushed admiration.

"Sasha Evans," said a voice.

"Er, sorry?" Bella muttered, suddendly noticing a pretty brunette, who was trying to lift Bellas marooned backpack out of the puddle.

"The drama queen you just showered with muddy water," the girl said . "Her names Sasha Evans."

"Er, is she a friend of yours?Bella asked.

"Oh, now , do I look like id have a friend who only uses last years Louis Vuitton?" the girl replied. Then she threw back her head, catching sparks of sunshine in her hair  and laughed a bubbling throaty laugh.

"Just kidding!" she said. " I saw the name tags on those fancy designer bags of hers."

This girl is seriously is seriously glamourous , Bella thought, gazing at her new friend, who was wearing a figure hugging black 1950s dress, a fake fur wrap and leather biker boots.

Whats more, she actually has a figure for the dress to hug! Bella thought enviously.

She couldnt help glancing down at her own slim frame in its white T-shirt and skinny jeans. It was far from curvy!

 "Well, come on then. Lets get your bag out of this puddle. Oh- my names Tori. Tori Vega , if you want to be posh!" Tori soke in a soft english accent. As she heaved at the backpack, drops of water flicked from it onto her dress and she broke out into that dangerously infectious laugh again. "Eau de Puddle! Everyones wearing it this season!" she said.

Bella couldnt help laughing as she held out her hand politely and introduced herself. But Tori leaped across the pudddle and engulfed her in a great big hug. Bella hugged her back. Usually she felt a little shy and awkward  when she met new people, but somehow shyness didnt seem to be an option for Tori

"Great to see youre making friends already!" Bellas mother called as she emerged from the school building .

And enemies! Bella thought, thinking of Furious Girl and hoping she wouldnt be running into her again for a very long time.

Somehow she didnt think she'd made it onto Sasha Evans Christmas card list.