Chapter 1: Undead Routine

Beginne am Anfang

Since my cover had been blown, I blew it and rushed the other one. It tried to grab me but I spun in dancer fashion to avoid him among the small aisles. It then shuffled a bit faster towards me and that got me irritated. See, that’s the problem with the zombies. The slow shuffling and rotting flesh made them easy kills and they were just dangerous in groups. The problem was the freshly risen infected. Now those were able to run. Yes, run. They resembled disgruntled men and women who got fed up in waiting in line for something or having flight be cancelled. They were the reason why the infection spread fast in the first place. We had to wait for them to decay so they would slow down and that could take months.

It swiped its arms towards me but I grab it and give it a twist., knocking it down on the floor. Thank god it was rotting enough to do that. It snarled on my face and I spit on it’s face in retaliation followed by a stab in the head. It stopped snarling and dropped dead permanently. I sigh and sheathe back the knife. Finally got the store cleared.

I look around and check what could be useful around here. I grab my backpack and unzip it and start grabbing some canned goods, some beef jerky, pastry snacks and a couple of instant noodles. I also get some matches and a first aid pack that I was sure would do little to a zombie bite but would do nicely to other injuries. I went over to the medicine aisle and grabbed some cough syrup and paracetamols just in case. Checking if I got everything, I zip my bag and prepare to go out.

DM DM DM DM

Our hiding spot was in a dirt road near the woods next to the highway. It was a 20 minute walk from the store so I didn’t have to walk far. The sun was shining brightly on the afternoon and it burned my skin ferociously but that was the least of my worries. We don’t have time for ridiculous things. Things to worry about is survival, the zombies and nutcase people and nothing more. The hot afternoon sun was nothing compared to those.

As I entered the woods, I heard the tall bushes rustle. I stopped and became cautious. Rustling could either be just a deer or any other animal passing or…

Just then, a howling infected came running down at me. I try to grab my knife but the zombie was too fast and it tackled me to the ground. Great. This guy must have been newly infected. Just what I needed. They were the ones who ran the fastest. It tried to bite me on my neck but I held it’s head away from me but it kept going. The zombie snarled and growled at me, desperate to know how I taste like. I struggle and scream helplessly. I needed to get out of here. I tried to think of ways to get out. I didn’t want to scream for help because it might attract more infected or some asshole thieves. I couldn’t grab my knife because of my two hands. I didn’t know what to do.

Then I heard a small voice grunt and the zombie’s head jerked upward and fell silent and dead. I breathe heavily and catch my breath. Relieved that I got to live another day. I look around and see a small girl with a thin frame and long, blonde hair. She had snow white skin and eyes as green as fresh forest moss. She had a scared expression and I scowl at her

“Clara...what did I tell you about not going out of your hiding spot until I come back?” I tell her

“I heard you scream and I thought you were in danger. When I saw you under that guy, I had to do something…” Clara reasoned. I look at the zombie and see a knife embedded on it’s head. I grab it and give it to Clara, which she took. It was a knife I found on one of my scavenging that I gave her for protection. I give it back to her and hug her, which she returned tight.

“I thought I was gonna lose you too. I already lost mom and dad….if I lose you I-I’ll” Clara trembled but I shush and coo her and stroke her head

“It’s okay Clara. You won’t lose me. I’m always here okay?” I comfort to her. She looks at me with glassy eyes and she nodded.

“I hope you’re not mad I disobeyed you” Clara said