Chapter 18

The drive going to the hospital was silent neither Henry nor I uttered a word. As we arrived at the hospital lobby I faced Henry "Thank you so much for the ride, you can leave me here" I stated with a smile, but my smile did not reach my eyes "No I will accompany you, I will be there for you no matter what" Henry soothed. I just nodded knowing that he would just insist again. I went directly to the nurse station "excuse me ma'am where is the room of my brother?" I asked nervously "your brother?" the nurse asked in bewilderment " uh yeah sorry for that my brother Kurt the one being rushed a while ago because of tuberculosis" I said hastily " oh he is in the ICU just go straight ahead then you can see the ICU" she said " thank you ma'am " I stated I did not wait for her reply and went directly to the ICU. I am not fond of hospitals, but I have no choice, but took a courage to go because of my brother. When I saw the ICU sign, I walk hastily and luckily I saw nurse coming out from the ICU "excuse me ma'am I would like to see Kurt Gomez the one rushed a while ago" I said exasperatedly "oh what is your relationship with him?" the nurse asked though her eyes did not meet mine, but to Henry "Miss she asked if she could see her brother" Henry said irritated ,not liking the attention the nurse gave him "oh sorry wait I have to call Dr. Drew" the nurse said and strove to the office. After 5 minutes a doctor went out of the office " Ma'am are you Kurt's sister?" the doctor asked "yes " I answered nervously "Come follow me" the doctor stated. Henry and I followed Dr. Drew "Please wear these ma'am, sir because Kurt's illness is contagious" Dr. Drew offered a hospital gown and a face mask "Thank you" I said to him "Come I will show you to him" Dr. Drew stated. I was very nervous of Kurt's condition. I knew that his illness has gotten worst, but I tried to keep my hopes up "Please not now" I thought. We arrived in a Kurt's room and I was not able to hide my pain. I cried seeing Kurt's condition he was very pale and has lost a lot of weight. Maybe I did not notice it because I was busy with my work and bonding with Henry I felt that I was the one to be blamed for. Suddenly I felt a pair of strong hands engulfing me in a tight hug, at first I was stunned, but then I just succumbed to Henry's embrace.

"ssshh It's okay now" he said soothingly "He is dying Henry" I said though my it was like I just mumbled the words. "uhhm excuse me Ms. Gomez can we talk about your brother's condition" the doctor said awkwardly "sorry Dr. okay" I answered with a gloomy mood "uhhhhm Henry" I whispered , but he interfered " don't worry I will wait for you outside" he assured me "Come now Ms." The doctor said " o-okay Ms. Gomez I would like you to keep calm and be ready" the doctor stated with a concern look. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Henry going out the room.

"You see Kurt's condition has worsen and at this moment I would like to tell you frankly that he is in a coma" he stated but stopped. I could not control, but sobbed harder "ju-just continue Dr." I said though it was like a mumble. "oh- okay so we do not know when he will make up or maybe not" the doctor said softly. And with that statement I cried and cried "I am telling you this Ms. Because I want you to prepare yourself for the possible outcome" he said dejectedly " will there be any chance that he will wake up sooner?" I asked but it was like begging. "Frankly speaking Ma'am there will only be 10%chance of him waking up" the doctor answered softly "How much if I will continue his apparatuses?" I asked "uhhm $2000 per day ma'am" the doctor answered I could see pity in his eyes, but I shed that off. "What?! $2000?" I thought my salary per month does not even reach that amount of money. I did not care if Dr. Drew saw my downfall, all I could think of at the moment is my brother. "Doctor would you be kind enough to give me time to tslk to my brother?" I asked though knowing my brother could not answer me "Sure Ms." The doctor stated, then left the room. "Kurt I am very sorry for neglecting you for the past months I am very sorry I am such a horrible sister , I do not know what I will do right now without you. You are the only family member who treats me right please Kurt wake up" I cried and cried knowing that I felt helpless. I did not know how much time have passed but I broke my blank stare to Kurt's face and hugged and kissed him deeply "So long brother, maybe in the next life we will see each other, please send my HI to mom for me you will always be in my heart no matter what, you will always be my big brother and I am grateful for the times that we spent together thank you so much " I said no more tears came out from my eyes maybe, because I cried to much that no more tears left. Then suddenly I was not sure perhaps because of what I said or perhaps Kurt did not want me to spend more money for him, the monitor went into a straight line and right there and then I knew that I lost my brother.

I pressed the emergency button and immediately the nurses and doctors rushed to the room to put a defibrillator "paddle 250!" the Dr. Drew instructed. Then I felt strong arms holding me tight I cried and I cried then suddenly, I heard the doctor said "Time of death 3:30 pm" I hugged Henry tightly and cried on his chest I did not mind even though I soaked his expensive suit. I just felt helpless and alone at that time because I LOST ANOTHER FAMILY MEMBER WHO CARES FOR ME.