Fallen

It was the light that she noticed first, or the lack of it, rather, as she plummeted out of the sky. Everything was so dark here, even at the height of a noonday sun. Out along the horizon, she could see the others as they fell too, all of them plunging at the world of humans.

Please, she thought despairingly, let there be no pain when I land, there is so much pain already. Then, I am sorry, Father, to have failed you so.

She looked out to the horizon again, but could no longer see her kin. They had fallen from sight, some into the earth, others into water, or even to beneath the ground. Then she hit the field. From a distance, it would've appeared as a shooting star striking the plain, a ball of fire and light cratering the earth in a plume of dirt and burning grass . . .

***

Grace could see her. But of course she could. In all the excitement, 'Lauren' had spent all of her power, leaving herself exposed for anyone to see.

'. . . ah.'

Grace rushed forwards, coming as close as she might to examine the thoroughly unprepared fiery girl. 'Are . . . are you really a . . .'

There was small purpose in denying it, wings hanging out as they were. 'I am. I am indeed one of the fiery ones.'

'A faery! An actual faery! How wonderful!'

The 'faery', as it were, put her hands on the young girl's shoulders. 'Grace, you must tell no one of this, it would . . . create many problems, especially for Philip.'

'Oh you can trust me, I swear, I've already been keeping you safe from the other passengers.'

'You . . . you have?'

'Aye. They all think you're some insect creature flying about, Philip even thinks he has you locked up in his toolbox.' She giggled, looking every bit as mischievous as a faery herself.

The fiery girl gave a short laugh, mostly from astonishment. 'Clever girl.'

'My father says I am too clever by half, and that it will land me in trouble one day.'

'Yes, well fathers say a lot of things.'

Grace's expression then turned more serious. 'Philip thinks you're Lauren, doesn't he? That's why he believes she's still here.'

The faery looked away and out the window again. 'He does, yes.'

Grace came and sat against the sill next to her. 'It was a kind thing you did.'

'I hope so.'

'It was,' Grace said firmly. 'You are kind, I know it. It's how I know you're not the reason for the sickness on the ship, like some of the other passengers have been saying.'

The faery smiled gratefully at her.

'You've been protecting us from it, as much as you can.'

'You have a wide and open heart, Grace.'

Grace smiled back, the two falling into a brief silence, before Grace broke it again. 'If I may ask, what's your name? Do you even have a name?'

The faery's expression tightened somewhat, as though tasting something bitter. 'I do, but . . . names are powerful things, especially for beings like us.'

'I won't tell anyone, I promise. Not a soul, not even my father.'

She hesitated another moment, then two, before nodding. 'Very well, I suppose you have proven yourself worthy of trust.' She paused again, before saying, 'my name is Hanael.'