Decadent Doughnuts

Betty felt a familiar scent fill her nose that morning. She opened her eyes only to be confronted with a sleeping Jughead. His pale face had scattered strands of black hair lying ever so lightly on his skin. The blonde felt warm at his presence as she brushed the stray hairs from his eyes. She heard light tapping on the window. She sat up only to discover a dusty grey sky and raindrops landing randomly on the window. The bed creaked ever so slightly, turning Betty's attention back to the tall boy still asleep in bed as he turned on his back.

    Betty then remembered the conversation they had last night. Butterflies filled her body as she stared at the raven haired teen again. Did she like Jughead? Did she want to date him? She asked herself these questions before lying back down in bed. She let her mind wander into thoughts only about him. Sure he was handsome, tall, funny and caring but, was she ready to just jump into another relationship?

    She hugged his body close to herself, their flat stomachs emanating warmth into one another. Betty snuggled into his neck and breathed in his unique scent. Her thoughts lead her to the relationship question again. It was getting easier to see why she wanted to date him, Jughead was her best friend, even closer to her than Veronica was, he was loyal to her, they cared for each other and enjoyed each other's company, Betty felt so happy and at ease around him, but did he feel the same? The words he said last night rang loudly in her mind; "Betty, you can go to anyone but, I want you to remember the one person who has never left you alone." She felt herself become jittery, her emotions running wild.

    Her gaze turned to the soft grey ceiling, her blue orbs scanning the walls. She discovered how different Jughead's room was from Archie's. Jug's room was filled with band and comic book and video game posters. Even though Archie had band posters, a large amount of the walls displayed framed photos of various girls, hardly any of them being Betty. The blonde sat up again, nothing could distract her from him. She decided to peer out the door.

  It appeared as though no one was home. She peeked into Jellybean's room. Empty. Betty stepped slowly down the stairs, afraid she might startle anyone that may be downstairs. No one was to be found. She wandered into the kitchen and took a glance at the time on the microwave. 9:27. It wasn't as early as she anticipated, but she was still grateful it was Sunday. A loud pound was heard. Her heart jumped. Did they return home? Was someone breaking in? Betty walked down the hall, the cold floor nearly freezing her bare feet.

     The pounding increased, she watched as the door flung open, only seconds later she felt her body pushed to the ground. She closed her eyes shut, the anxiety making her chest tighten. It felt like she was laying for hours, the wood flooring making her back cold.  Something brushed against her cheek. She froze instantly. It was wet. The blonde blinked her eyes to see a white mass above her. What was it? Then she fully opened one eye, and discovered it was only Hot Dog; shaking his tail excitedly and licking her cheek again. Betty giggled and ran her fingers through his fur. Suddenly his ears sprang up. He smelled the air before running into the kitchen.

  Betty followed him curiously, she watched as he barked continuously at the counter. She looked over to find a box of donuts. How did she not notice that? She opened the cardboard container to reveal a full dozen. She smiled before reaching in to grab a glazed donut.
  Jughead's eyes sprung open to the sound of pounding. He closed his eyes again, thinking it was just the rain. Then barking began to nag at his ears. He sighed. Hot Dog got into the pantry again. He sat up in bed and looked beside him. Betty was gone. His heart sunk. She left? When did she leave? Why didn't she say anything? The dark haired male just felt like sulking for the rest of the day, but his mom would kill him if Hot Dog ate anything not labeled "dog food."

    He dragged himself out of bed and sprinted down the stairs. He ran into the kitchen to find a beautiful blonde girl leaned against the counter. His heart clenched. Betty was still wearing his sweater, it hung loosely off her right shoulder exposing her creamy white skin. She turned around to face him and smiled brightly. Jughead walked over to the counter and peered over her shoulder.

  "I thought you had left," he whispered, his cheeks tinting pink as he leaned closer to her. 

  "I don't want to leave you,"she said. His eyes widened and he felt his face become red.

   Betty turned around and smiled at him, donut in hand and pressed it towards the tall male's lips. He grabbed the donut and began to eat at it. She smirked and grabbed a new one, biting it fiercely and glaring at him. Jughead grinned and began grabbing donuts from the box, and Betty tried to grab most of them before he could. After pushing each others hands in the box it fell. All the donuts slammed to the floor, the last one remaining in Betty's hand.

    Hot Dog was quick to react and tried to eat the pastries, causing both teens to panic and scurry to remove them from his grasp. They panted roughly, throwing the donuts in the trash except for the single remaining one in the blonde's hand.

  They fell next to each other on the couch, their shoulders touching and thighs pressed against each other. Betty sighed. His presence reminded her of her struggle. What if he wanted to date too? What if they did and it didn't work out? What if it ruined their friendship and they stopped being best friends? She slumped onto his shoulder.

    "Are you thinking about what we talked about last night?" Jughead questioned her while leaning his head against hers.

  She sighed again, "Yes. I don't know what to do. It feels like we're going so fast."

  "Isn't it better this way? Nothing to wait on?"  His heart beat faster in his chest, he hoped she understood what he meant. He loved her so much.

  Betty split the donut and placed it on his lap. She nibbled on the pink frosting before speaking, "I just . . . I think I really do like you too but . . . I don't want us to break apart, I don't want to lose you. Lose your company. Lose your love."

  Jughead nearly felt his eyes water. Who knew a single night could change his life. He pondered for a bit. Something came to mind . . . something that might help her decision.

  "Bets, how about tomorrow night we go out on a romantic date? I'll treat you somewhere nice and you can get the feel of a relationship with me." It might not work he thought. He could mess up so terribly that she would end up out of his grasp again.

    She smiled, "Yea, I think that's a great idea."

Author's noteI know this chapter isn't my best but I really needed something where their relationship was questioned, so it doesn't seem like some "instant true love and move on fairy tale" and I also something that could introduce the next chapter and have it move more smoothly. (Yes the Hot Dog scenes were irrelevant but I love him and thought he had to be mentioned!) Also this chapter is super LONG I'm sorry lmao