"I didn't count," Bellamy retorted.

       "Where's Raulf? Ask him," Jinny said.

       "He disappeared into the trees," Shumway answered.

       "Yeah, sounds like him," she sighed. "There were three hundred, give or take. Another battalion supposedly waiting for us at the border in case we tried to run."

       "Why do you think they attacked? What provoked them?" Kane continued to ask

       "Dumb stupid luck," Jinny said before recounting all the events that had happened to them, from the start of Jasper's attack to the battle at the dropship while everyone listened to her with rapt attention. "Kane, we may have technology on our side but we are completely outnumbered."

       "What does any of this matter anyway?" Bellamy interrupted with an outburst. "We're wasting time here. The others didn't just vanish into thin air. They were taken, and we need to go after them."

       "Search team is prepping to leave but not before we've gotten all the intel from you," Kane told them.

       "We need to be on that team," Bellamy said imploringly, taking a seat in front of him. "Please."

        "That's out of the question," Kane said. "You're not trained, it's too dangerous. Jinny is still under disciplinary arrest."

        The former Major scoffed. "I trained him, I trained them all. You know I'm your second best Guardsman and we have experience on the field, which none of you have yet."

        "You're also a loose canon," Kane snapped at her. "You need to keep that temper of yours in check. Best Guardsman or not, you need to learn some self-control or I'm grounding you permanently."

        "Excuse me, but that guy is my father, not you," she said, gesturing towards Shumway.

       "I told him to say all that," her father replied, inciting a frustrated groan from her.

       "Those are our people out there," Bellamy said, bringing the topic back to the Hundred.

       "They're my people too," Kane responded. "If you want to help, tell me what we're up against—Grounder tactics, their numbers, what kind of weapons they use."

       "Arrows and spears, axes, swords, their teeth," he answered.

       "No guns?" Kane inquired and Bellamy shook his head. "You had guns."