38- You Absolutely Love It

Start from the beginning

“I like the red one,” I told Sophie after the lady who worked at the store had taken my dress and put it in the back so that they could make the modifications and I could pick it up in about a week.

“But the zipper is kind of itchy,” Sophie told me.

“Well, then what about the purple one?”

“I like that one a lot but the black one is just so beautiful,” She explained.

“Then get the black one,” I said with a small laugh.

“But the purple one is so much fun, doesn’t it look fun?”

“I like the black one,” Paige interjected. “Andy will totally lose his mind when he sees you in that dress.”

“You’re right,” Sophie conceded and I just laughed. “Okay, fine. The black one.”

And then it took another half an hour to get Paige to narrow down her selection to just one dress as well. She was almost convinced that she was going to have to do a costume change in the middle of prom because she couldn’t decide between two of them but I had eventually talked her down to just one.

The whole way back to Rawlins, I was texting back and forth with Carter as I tried to get information out of him. If he listened to Sophie or if he listened to my text that told him not to do anything. His answers were vague and short though, so I had a bad feeling that he listened to Sophie.

When we got to the house, Sophie and Paige planned on staying the night with me that night so Sophie parked her car in the back by the garage and then all three of us walked into the house. In the living room, Will and some of his hockey friends were sitting on the couch and there was a path of scattered rose petals that lead from the front door to the stairs.

“It’s about time you guys got here,” Will glanced up at us from the TV with a small laugh. “Maddie’s here!”

I let out a soft groan as a blush started rising on my cheeks.

“I knew that he’d rise to the occasion,” Sophie chirped with a grin.

“I told him not to do anything,” I mumbled, hesitant to go upstairs because I knew that Sophie and Paige were both going to follow me up there. It wasn’t like I was against romantic gestures- I was absolutely swooning when Carter created a private restaurant in a corn field. It doesn’t really count though, when somebody else told him to be romantic, especially when I didn’t want the romantic gesture in the first place.

“Well, I think that he’s kind of afraid of me,” Sophie added, offering me a small smile.

“Okay, but you don’t give him head when he’s had a bad day,” Will said teasingly and I just thwacked the back of his head as I headed for the stairs as Will just laughed at his own joke.

“We’ll stay down here. Let us know how it goes,” Sophie sang as I headed up the stairs alone. Following the cheesy rose petals, I see that they’re leading me up to my room. Opening the door, I let out a loud gasp when I see that my room was absolutely covered in bouquets of flowers of all different types. They were scattered on my bed, on my dresser, on the floor, on the bench by the window. Everywhere.

However, looking around the room with wide eyes, I couldn’t find Carter until I turned completely around and saw him standing behind me, leaning against the door frame of the door that I had just walked through, so he must have quietly followed me into the room. He was wearing a nice sports jacket and dress pants and sneakers, holding another bouquet, only this one was of roses, which was the only bouquet of roses in the whole room.

“I told you not to do anything,” I mumbled but I couldn’t hide a wide blushing grin that spreads across my face.

“I know that but Sophie scares me,” He joked, walking into the room and I found it ironic that those were almost exactly Sophie’s words too.

“Sure but Sophie doesn’t hold your sex life in her palm,” I refuted, paraphrasing Will’s comeback to Sophie’s remark. “So siding with Sophie wasn’t the best idea.”

“You’re not really mad,” He shook his head.

“I am,” I insisted but I giggled, calling out my own lie. “What am I supposed to do with all of these flowers?”

“I didn’t think it through that far,” He admitted, handing me the roses and I accepted them, careful not to prick myself on the thorns. “But anyway, I didn’t know that prom was such a big deal to you.”

“It’s not. It’s such a big deal to Sophie.”

“Anyway,” He said again, giving me a teasing glare and then a handsome grin before he got down on one knee as if he was asking me to marry him or something, which I know obviously wasn’t the case. “Madison Baker, will you do me the absolute honor of going to prom with me?”

I actually did feel a tear start to fill up behind my eye but I didn’t let it fall because it was so ridiculous to almost be crying right now. “Shut up,” I mumbled in a waving voice as I rolled my eyes at him and then held his hand in mine, pulling him back up to his feet. “Obviously, we’re going to prom together.”

He grinned at me again and then wrapped his arms tightly around me. “You can pretend that you don’t like it but I know that you absolutely love it.”

“I absolutely love you,” I said so that I didn’t have to deny it or admit that he was right.

“Well, that’s a major relief,” Carter said before kissing my lips with a long, lingering kiss. “Because I absolutely love you too.”