28- Breathtaking

A week later, I was regretting my decision to agree to go to homecoming with everybody else. Not because I didn’t want to go with Carter, because I did, but I still wasn’t talking to Andy or Will and they were going to be spending most of the night with us. Ethan never asked Paige to go, which was disappointing, but a guy in her math class did as her and she said yes so he was going to pick her up at her house to take her, which meant that she wasn’t riding with us. That only left me and Carter, Sophie and Andy, and then Will and his date, Rayna.

Despite Sophie’s continuous pleas for me to work things out with Andy, I was stubborn about the entire thing. Due to what he tried to pull on me by forcing me to meet my father, I wasn’t talking to him, Will, or Tommy. I didn’t like confrontation so I didn’t want to fight with them but I also didn’t plan on forgiving them anytime soon. I would be civil at homecoming but I wasn’t going to pretend like everything was fine just fine.

“I’m just saying that you’ll have so much more fun tonight if you try to talk things out with them,” Sophie explained to me as we were finishing getting ready for the night in my room. Rayna was there too and she was nice, I thought, but she was also very quiet so the conversation was pretty much between just me and Sophie. “I don’t know about Will or Tommy but I do know that Andy feels really awful about what they did.”

“They should feel awful,” I decided, not feeling even a drop of sympathy for him.

“I know,” She sighed. “What they did was totally unfair to you but you know that Andy’s a great guy, so just give him a chance to explain, alright?”

“Maybe after tonight,” I appeased her, checking my curled hair in the mirror. “I don’t want to ruin your night by bringing it up. Just enjoy the night, Soph.”

“I can’t fully enjoy homecoming if one of my best friends and my boyfriend aren’t getting along,” She puffed. “And I know that you won’t fully enjoy homecoming either if you’re feeling bitter toward a third of our group. And then they won’t fully enjoy homecoming either since they feel crappy about you still being mad at them. And this keeps going because Carter won’t have a good time if you’re not having a good time and so the only one that gets to have a nice homecoming is Rayna and Paige’s date.”

I knew that Sophie was really looking forward to homecoming and I didn’t want to ruin her night just because Andy was upset that I didn’t forgive him as easily as he had hoped. I was sure that those Fisher boys were so used to just batting their gorgeous eyes and smiling a gorgeous grin and then all was forgiven, no harm done. But unfathomable beauty would only get them so far.

“Fine. I’ll try talking to them tonight,” I mumbled. I didn’t want to, but I also didn’t want to ruin Sophie’s big night so I’d just suck it up. Checking the time on my phone, I noticed that it was almost time to go so I announced that to Sophie and Rayna as we did some last minute finishes on our looks before it was time.

I was wearing a long purple dress with a metallic look to it and a thick silver belt of fabric around my midsection and ugly white heels that were invisible under the dress. Sophie was wearing a short colorful dress that reminded me of a peacock by the way the bottom reflected feathers in some way. Rayna’s dress was a simple blue dress with a beaded bust. Even though she wasn’t here with us, I knew that Paige’s dress was blue with shiny disks that resembled sequences covering the dress with a silky blue ribbon tied around her waist.

Me, Paige, and Sophie had gone dress shopping during the week after soccer practice and we had spent hours going through the stores to find the perfect dresses. It was exhausting and expensive but upon Carter’s request, Tom had offered to pay for the dress and upon Carter’s other request, I had spent my money on some fancy-looking lingerie. We’d only had sex that one time in the cabin but I was sure that after homecoming, we’d do it again. Especially since he was going to be wearing a suit or something fancy which was always like wow.