38- You Absolutely Love It

Start from the beginning

I let out a loud groan of misery and defeat but I didn’t say anything, I just listened to what Sophie was telling my boyfriend.

“No, sir. That is just unacceptable. By the time that we get back to that house, you better have a very romantic proposal set up for Maddie and it better make me cry, do you understand? And also flowers to apologize for being so incredibly stupid.”

There was a pause as Carter spoke.

“No, not for me, dumbass, for Maddie,” She snapped at him, rolling her eyes. “Jeez, what would you two do without me? You have three hours, lover boy. Get to work.”

She then hung up the phone and Paige released me from her grip.

“You’re terrible,” I told Sophie.

“I did you a favor,” She grinned at me. “And you know that you love me.”

“Well, what did he say?” I wondered as we all went back to looking at all of the dresses hanging on the racks in front of us. I was looking at the blue dresses while Sophie grazed the green ones to my left and Paige searched the purple ones to my right.

“He just seemed very confused,” Sophie explained. “Which is so ridiculous. Is romance really that dead?”

“He is romantic,” I defended my boyfriend. “Prom just isn’t that big of a deal to us, I guess. How did Andy ask you?”

“He filled my car with balloons. I know that it’s cheesy, but it was really cute and I loved it.”

“But the only reason that he did that was because she threatened not to have sex with him for a while month if he didn’t wow her with a prom proposal,” Paige added with a small laugh.

“Be that as it may, it was still cute,” Sophie shrugged. “And what about you, Paige? Do you have a date yet?”

“Nope. I don’t,” She shrugged. “I don’t think that I’m going to get one either.”

“But what about-“

“Don’t say Ethan,” Paige said quickly and then I was silent because that was exactly what I was going to say. “Come on, guys, I’ve been pathetically pining over the guy for months. If he hasn’t asked me out yet, he isn’t just going to randomly ask me to prom.”

“You never know, Paige,” Sophie chimed. “Don’t be so pessimistic.”

“I was pessimistic in January,” She corrected Sophie. “Now, I’m just a realist. Maybe Garrett from my math class will ask me. He’s really nice and we talk sometimes.”

“Have faith,” I assured Paige with a small smile as we continued searching for dresses. When neither Sophie nor Paige were looking at me, I quickly pulled my own phone out of my pocket and sent Carter a quick text to tell him to ignore what Sophie had told him and that I didn’t need a big invitation to prom. Before Sophie could catch me, I put my phone back in my pocket, knowing for sure that she’d try and take my phone away so that I couldn’t negate her instructions to Carter. I really didn’t want to make a big deal out of this though.

After a while, Anna found us in the prom section and let us know that she, her mom, and her two friends were leaving to go back home. After spending all morning trying on wedding dresses, she was exhausted so we bid her a goodbye. It was an hour drive back home but we weren’t ready to leave yet and since we drove separately from Anna and the others, we could stay longer without making them wait.

And then two hours after that, we were also exhausted from trying on so many prom dresses, trying to find the right fit and everything. I’d found mine pretty easily because like Anna’s wedding dress, I just immediately knew that it was perfect the moment I tried it on. Unlike Sophie, who had narrowed it down to three favorites and couldn’t decide on which one to go with and then Paige who had five top favorites.