Medical Definition

Maladaptive Daydreaming was a term first used by Eli Somer, PhD, who defined it as an extensive fantasy that replaces human interaction and/or interferes with academic, interpersonal, or vocational functioning.

The experiment conducted by the former, brought to attention nine themes of MD, clustered into three groups: Functions, Themes, and Dynamics, that best captured the fantasising experience.

Identified MD functions included Disengagement from Stress and Pain by Mood Enhancement and Wish Fulfillment Fantasies; and Companionship, Intimacy, and Soothing.

Recurrent MD themes were Violence; Idealized Self; Power and Control; Captivity; Rescue and Escape; and Sexual Arousal.

Motifs that were classified as describing MD dynamics were Onset and Kinesthetic elements.

MD has been observed to be a common occurrence among individuals with exceptionally active imaginations since childhood. That being said, it is also seen that various circumstances add to it (triggers).

Since this isn't a recognized condition, however, there isn't extensive research to determine if this is an actual mental imbalance. But theorists have also attributed MD to dissociative personality disorder, because with such disassociation, the person is often similarly detached from his or her immediate surroundings in both the physical and emotional aspect.

Feel free to ask questions and share stories.

For further information, refer to links given below:

http://link.springer.com/article/10.1023%2FA%3A1020597026919

https://www.academia.edu/19709946/Development_and_Validation_of_the_Maladaptive_Daydreaming_Scale_MDS_