Chapter 14

Omitted Truth and Counseling    Laurabelle

His texts sounded cryptic, nothing like the loving boyfriend I knew. Our voicemails were filled with confusion, back and forth with no real answers. I knew something is wrong, but I hadn't been able to ask Grayson. Because he rarely answered my calls. This went beyond the busyness of a 40 hour work week. Or spending time with Lilly and Lisa or his friends. It felt like he was lying about something. Leaving something out, like a lie of omission. We hadn't spoken at all in three days, and the three days prior, our conversations were cut short because he had to go or suddenly needed to do something. In the last barrage of texts, Grayson tried to convince me to cancel my trip to see him. Or at least postpone it until he figured out what to do. Whatever that meant.

The day before I left for Chicago, Grayson finally called me. My anger melted, then completely evaporated when he sighed my name. He told me Lisa was in the hospital again. "Is she okay?" I asked the question even though I already knew the answer.

"No...and it gets worse," Grayson said before he told me about the hospital pharmacy. How they were missing inventory and how Lisa confessed to stealing pain killers. Which meant she was terminated and faced criminal charges.

"Grayson, I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry." I tried to comfort him. He hadn't wanted me to come because he didn't want me to find out about the mess. Then tried to keep it from me by not calling. "Bad plan," I told him. Grayson broke my heart when he told me that he'd even thought about breaking up with me. All so I wouldn't be tainted by his family drama.

But finally he said, "but, that scenario isn't any good because I need you, Laurabelle...I can't break up with you because I'm breaking without you, and I feel lost."

I told Grayson I'd do anything to make this better for him. He spoke again of shame and how he wasn't sure how I'd react to the news. "Don't worry...I'll always stand with you," I said.

"Will it be too awkward for you to be here?" He asked.

"No."

"Do you want to stay at Shanna's instead?"

"I don't think so, not unless you think I should," I said.

"I want you with me as long as you're comfortable...also, Lisa's Aunt Gert lives with us".

"I don't want to be in the way," I said.

His voice betrayed his desperation, "I need you."

It was killing me that I couldn't be there with him now instead of tomorrow. We said our goodbyes. Then Grayson wanted to talk to my dad. It surprised me when Dad spoke with Grayson from this side of the phone like he already knew what was going on. Dad gave Grayson advice on how to help Lilly when she felt abandoned by her mom. He told Grayson that he was on the fence about me going to Chicago. That I needed to stay in the shadows. But when Grayson agreed that I shouldn't come, my dad talked him back into it. They decided I'd stay with Shanna most of the time. But, I had my own mind.

Rehab     Grayson

Waiting for the train to bring Laurabelle to me was torture even though she tried to make the time easier for me by texting while she was in transit.

You're my everything...all I think about.

All My Love, LB

I want to get lost in you. I wish you were