22. "I think he really likes you"

Start from the beginning

The journey passes by much quicker than I expected it to. Brad insists on having the AUX cord; apparently he's entitled to it because he was delegated to the backseat. He keeps playing Arctic Monkeys but I'm not sure whether it's because he wants to listen to it or because I'm in the car. He keeps quizzing me on what bands I like and playing songs that he thinks I would know or thinks I would like. Although I'd rather not have him talking at me for two hours, it definitely makes the journey seem half the time it actually is.

When we reach my Mum's house, it's around 11am so she's already working at the cafe. Phil is therefore in charge of the house and Millie is bouncing around like a bundle of energy because it's a school holiday so she has the week off. I barely get to say hi before I'm off to the cafe to help my mum out with the afternoon shift.

It's not too busy when I arrive but I know it'll pick up soon with the lunchtime rush. As soon as I walk in, I spot Brittany stood behind the counter looking bored, tapping her Barbie pink nails against the wood.

I ignore her as I walk past but feel her eyes follow me as I walk into the back room to see my mum icing a large red velvet sponge cake. She looks up when she sees me enter and beams at me.

"Hello sweetheart" she grins, pulling me into a hug.

"Hey"

"It's good to see you" she says as she pulls away, "how's London?"

"Good"

"And how's your uni application going?" She asks, "I know the deadline's soon, right?"

"Yeah, it's nearly finished"

"That's good" she says, "now, I'm going to finish this cake, can you go out and serve? And ask Brittany to come and wash these dishes for me"

"Gladly" I smirk. I know my mum's tactics; have me in charge of customer service because Brittany can't serve for shit whilst keeping me and Brittany out of the way of each other. I have no objections, especially if Brittany has the job of washing up.

Once I've tied my hair up and put my apron on, I wander into the front of the cafe where Brittany is stood leaning with her back against the counter messing about on her phone. It wouldn't be as bad if there wasn't a bloody customer stood at the counter waiting to be served. Mrs Parker, as well, a kind elderly lady who is one of our regulars.

"Brittany, you're on washing up duty" I tell her as I make my way over to the till.

"Says who?" She snorts.

"My mum" I reply flatly. Brittany eyes me suspiciously, "go and ask her if you don't believe me"

She huffs and then drags herself into the back of the cafe whilst I turn my attention to the customer.

"I'm so sorry about the wait, Mrs Parker" I tell her apologetically.

"Don't worry about it, sweetheart, it's not your fault" she replied with a kind smile.

"The usual, is it?"

She smiles and nods, whilst I get to work on making her usual cup of tea, with milk but no sugar, and plating her up with one of my mum's homemade jam and fresh cream-filled scones.

"I haven't seen you in a while, sweetheart" she makes conversation as I work, "your mum says you've been in London"

"Yeah, I've been staying with my brother" I nod.

"Well, it hasn't been the same without you here" she tells me sweetly, "are you planning on staying in London?"

"For the moment, yes, but next year, I'm hoping to go to university there" I explain as I place the plate with the scone on a tray for her, followed by her pot of tea and a cup.