Fifty two staircases ahead, I finally reach the top. I huff and straighten my slumped back, I wipe off the sweat that trails down my temples as I wait ten seconds before I even take a step towards the doors.

                       "Need some help?" A familiar masculine voice sounds out. I spin around.

                      "Valdus!" I exclaim with a smile.

                     He's being held in place by a very angry Merlin, who's latched his fingers onto his ear like a mother would do to a child who was being scolded.

                 Valdus looked at me with guilt, and started to fidget with his fingers nervously.

                     "Out with it already!" Merlin barked as he slapped the back of his head. Valdus flinched and started to ramble to me.

                       "I'm so sorry claire- I'm the reason you ended up in here- I betrayed you worse than when I stole your poptarts those couple of times-" he starts. I furrow my eyebrows.

                      "Couple of times?" I ask and he shakes his head.

                     "That's not important Claire bear-" he starts again.

                     "I actually hate that name- the next time you call me by that I'll probably rip out your throat." I say with a finger rubbing my chin in thought.

                        "Would you just let me apologize!" He exclaims as Merlin tightens his hold on his ear, turning it even more red. I put my hands up in surrender.

                    "Okay, okay. Geez, someone needs a nap or something." I mutter under my breath. He gives me a dry look.

                      "Look, I would've been here sooner but we were-" him and Merlin glance at eachother bashfully. "...busy. But we are here now girl, and I need you to know that I'm the one who sold you out to this horrible place and I'm really so sorry. Like completely sorry- like-" he stutters to find another way to apologizes. Merlin cuts him off.

                    "He thought he was doing something right for the both of us, and he knew you could handle yourself and so could Atticus, so he did it. He just didn't realize that selling out a friend is the worst possible thing that you can do. It's all this doofus's fault. You can kill him but not me cause I had no part in this- I didn't even know that he was plotting." He starts.

                 "All this guys right here fault-"Merlin points a free hand at Valdus, and Valdus just looks at him panicked, like 'I thought we were in this together man!' I stifle a laugh. I wave my hands around.

                      "Do I even want to know what he sold me out for?" I ask pondering the options. Merlin blushes and looks towards the floor.

                       "The fountain of youth." Valdus mumbles.

                 "I'm sorry, what was that?" I ask, putting a hand to my ear knowing damn well that I heard him.

                      "I sold you out for the fountain of youth, so that mer bear-" Valdus starts.

                     "Don't call me that." Merlin says dead serious.

                      "Could stay young forever and be with me forever, because he didn't want to turn into a vampire and I really didn't want to lose my love to death of old age knowing there are other cures and I'm really sorry, you can do whatever you want to me- I deserve it all-" Valdus starts to choke up.

                 "No, no, no, no, no! No crying, that's for crybabies." I exclaim as Valdus wipes away a tear.

                    "I wasn't crying." He mutters under his breath like a stubborn five year old.

                    "You guys came back to help me- and that's all that matters. Although you will owe me after this- cause after all, you are the one who sold me out dude." I say as he starts nodding very fast.

                    "Of course! I'll do anything- even cut toenails off of trolls and collect fire from dragons for you." He says. I nod in approval.

                    "Guys, I think it's time we go into the room." Merlin says eying the door.

                    "I can feel Atticus's presence. And he's not very happy." He whispers as I turn towards the doors. I grin.

                 "Let's do this."

HAVE YOU GUYS READ ACOWAR?!?!?? I finished it like two days ago and I'm still thinking about how amazing it was and I just am really sad to see those main characters go. I know she's gonna write three more books that take place in that world- but not with the same main characters :( feysand

Did you guys like this chapter?? I surprised myself by actually writing it and I've decided that the second book might have Claire as the main character again--- what do you guys think? Should I switch it up with a new main character or should I bring Claire back to face the new obstacles ??

As always, love you guys!!!!

READ

VOTE

COMMENT!!!!!!