1. 1950

ELENA

"Hey, are you okay?" Emmett asks leaning against my doorframe.

"Do you know what today is?" I retort. He sighs before walking over and sitting with me.

"I thought you agreed that you wouldn't hang onto that anymore." He sighs.

"I've tried, but isolation leaves me to be alone in my thoughts, and it always comes back to today." I state.

"I don't like it anymore than what you do El." He says before wrapping an arm around me.

"I would have gone out when Carlisle started wanting me to be able to again, but it had been so long that I wouldn't have been able to handle it. I'd go out now, but even when someone is on the trails it messes with me." I play with my sleeves. "It's just been so long, 58 years is a long time to be isolated from humanity."

"58 years is a long time at all." He shakes his head slightly.

"Not when you have eternity to live." I state. "As long as you get to go out into the world, when you have forever, 58 years lasts about a minute. When you're stuck hidden away 58 years can feel like centuries sometime even millenniums."

"I'd stay home with you tomorrow but I have that test in Mr. Morris' class." He says. "Ya know, the grandson of your first kiss. That Mr. Morris. It's him." I slightly smile and shake my head.

"We were eight, Emmett. I don't see why you continually rub it in every time you bring up his class." I deadpan. "And besides, you're just jealous because I had my first kiss before you."

"No, I just like rubbing it in that your first kiss was my history teacher." He smirks.

"Eww, history." I fake retch then roll my eyes. "Actually, you should know everything by now, we've lived through most of it, and you've probably taken the same test almost a million times."

"You know the curriculum changes about every five years right?" He raises an eyebrow.

"You still learn the same time period and the same events happened regardless of the curriculum. You can change how it is taught, but you can't rewrite history." I state.

"Touché." He slightly narrows his eyes with a smirk. "But, he who fails to learn history is doomed to repeat it."

"Watch yourself little brother, never bite off more than what you can chew." I say.

"I am only five minutes younger than you!" He exclaims.

"You, my dear sweet brother, are still younger." I state matter-of-factly.

"I still woke up first." He comments.

"You had less to heal from." I retort.

"I'm stronger."

"No, you are not."

"And faster."

"Definitely not."

"And smarter."

"Yeah, hell no."

"Ah, but I am." He lightly pokes my nose.

"How do you always do that?" I ask.

"Do what? This?" He pokes my nose again.

"No, how do you always manage to take my mind off things and put me in a good mood?" I question.

"Because that's just what little brothers do." He replies.

"So you're admitting that you're younger?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Yes, El, I'm admitting that I am in fact a whole five minutes younger." He states. I smile and wrap my arms around him.

"I love you little brother." He wraps his arms around me.

"I love you too big sister. Even if you are a pain in my ass sometimes." He says.

"Always and forever?"

"Yeah, always and forever."

+++++

"Come on, Elena, don't you want to try it?" Edward smirks. I shake my head. "Not even a little bit?" I shake my head again and stare at the ground. "Oh, come on, you know you want to. Why not rebel just a little bit? Be a teenager for once."

"I was twenty, unlike you I grew out of my immaturities quickly." I state.

"Why won't you do it? I'll do it. I've done it before. Come on, it'll be fun." He says. "Why won't you rebel against Carlisle?"

"I have no reason to rebel against Carlisle. He has done me no wrong. Now if you'll excuse me, I'll be on my way back to house." I turn and start to leave when we moves in front of me.

"Don't be a buzz kill Elena, just try it." He places a hand against the wall blocking me in.

"No." I shake my head. "I won't. Now let me go, please."

"You are really stubborn, aren't you?" He half chuckles.

"Look who's talking." I growl. "Let me go, I asked nicely and I only do that once."

"No. I'm not letting you go." He states.

"Have it your way." I say before pushing past him and running down the street. I catch a scent of blood, but it's different than animal blood, human.

"You know it smells different, Elena, it smells better. It tastes better too." Edward says. My throat starts to burn and I try to walk away. Edward moves in front of me holding a man who's throat is cut. "Come on, try it. You know you want to."

"No. I do not." I say in a strained voice. He takes some of the blood on his finger and drags it across my lips and I go berserk. My eyes change and I dig my teeth into the man's neck.

"Atta girl!" Edward exclaims just before I drop the body.

"More. I want more." I manage to spit out.

"Come on then. We'll get you more." He smirks wickedly.