Chapter 7 - The Depths of Shadows

Start from the beginning

Finley looked at him in surprise. She'd always thought that Kade loved the attention that he got. But clearly he didn't.  She nodded, "Okay then."

The bell rang and they began to move towards their first class. The stares followed her through each class that Kade was with her but she tried her best to ignore it. By the time 4th period came along she'd gotten pretty used to having everyone's eyes on her.

"What class do you have now?" She asked Kade as they headed through the main courtyard. He flicked a piece of his black hair out of his face before peering down at his schedule. "Art," he said.

"What? You're not in my art class," Finley said glancing over at his schedule.

"Yeah I don't normally go to it," he shrugged as she looked at him in confusion.

She shook her head, "So what do you normally do instead of coming to class?"

"There's an old oak tree at the corner of the oval that I normally hang out in. No one ever comes around so I just chill out there sometimes," he said.

"How do you not get into trouble for skipping every lesson?" Finley asked curiously.

Kade shrugged, "Sometimes I do but most of the time I bribe someone in the class to answer for me. I'm pretty sure the art teacher thinks I'm Jesse."

"How have I never noticed that you're not there?" Finley asked trying to recall previous lessons.

Kade smirked, "Probably too caught up in your schoolwork."

Finley glared at him. "I am not that obsessed with school."

"Oh yes you are. I bet you've never skipped a class before in your life," Kade challenged.

Finley glanced away from him already knowing that he was right. She sighed and looked over at him defiantly. "Fine, let's skip class then."

"What?" He asked caught off guard.
"Let's skip. We'll go to your secret spot and chill out," she answered.

He raised an eyebrow at her. "You sure you want to sweetheart, wouldn't want to ruin your perfect record."

His words only made her angry and she nodded. "Yes, let's go."
He smirked before leading the way towards the oval.

The old oak tree was in fact in a secluded spot at the back of the oval completely abandoned. The large old tree towered over them, its branches strong and magnificent. It was beautiful to look at and Finley found herself mesmerized. But there was a nagging feeling inside of her as they sat down. She didn't like skipping class and she couldn't help but look around to make sure no one was watching them.

"You know we can always go back if you want?" Kade suggested a grin forming on his face. She hated that he looked so comfortable as he leaned against the tree.

"No its fine," she said taking another quick glance behind them.

Kade chuckled, "You fight monsters for a living but you're afraid of skipping class."

"I'm not afraid!" She snapped a little too defensively. "I just don't particularly like drawing attention to myself and this will definitely draw attention."

Kade watched her for a moment his green eyes thoughtful as he regarded her. She shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. "Why don't you like the attention?"

Finley shrugged before pulling her notebook from her bag and ignoring his question. She'd asked herself that question many times before and she knew the answer but she didn't feel like sharing it.