Prologue

The sleek cream tabby glanced towards a muscled, brown she-cat. "What now, Brightstar?"

The other cat narrowed her eyes. "If we're to get them, then we'll have to sneak. We can't possibly take on the whole of WindClan,"

"What if the queens are awake?" the first cat returned, bristling with alertness. "If they are, we'll get a bad reputation for stealing kits, if we escape alive. Queens are very protective of their young,"

"Just do it, Dandelionfur," Brightstar hissed through gritted teeth. 

Dandelionfur dipped her head, slightly annoyed. "Fine," she slunk into the open clearing. Moonlight shone down, making the cats' fur go silver. Then, the cream tabby slipped into the den in front of her. Heather was woven into the walls, protecting the kits and queens.

The she-cat's eyes softened at the sight of two fluffy bundles curled up beside a twitching queen. Her soft fur was black, and one eye sleepily opened, making it look like a glowing green slit. However she must have been too sleepy to look around, because Dandelionfur wasn't confronted.

Brightstar slunk into the den and grasped one bundle of fur. It didn't wake up. Dandelionfur latched her teeth into the second kit's scruff and backed out of he den.

Outside, the air was cool. Dandelionfur shivered slightly, her breath billowing. Brightstar narrowed her eyes. "Let's go, quick," she murmured, sliding back through the hole in the heather barrier. Dandelionfur followed. 

As soon as they stepped onto the moor, the two cats raced back to the SkyClan camp, tails streaming out. They met the midnight patrol on the way.

"You've returned," politely the leading cat dipped his head. "And you've got them,"

"It wasn't that hard," Brightstar's tail twitched with satisfaction. "We need to return to camp quickly, or they'll freeze. And they need to meet their father," almost instantly the leader turned and bounded away, towards the SkyClan camp.

They arrived many minutes later, panting for breath. A large tom sprang forward. "You've got them," he gazed down at the kits, an expression of love and delight but tinges of sadness in his eyes.

"Yes, we have," Dandelionfur dipped her head coolly at him. "It wasn't hard,"

Brightstar was already on highrock, calling for the Clan. "Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather here for a Clan meeting!"

Cats blearily stumbled out of their dens, their eyes glowing in the darkness. Hazel, amber, yellow, green, blue... every colour was there.

"As you know, Reedwhisker fled from WindClan and to our Clan many moons ago," the leader nodded at the large tom. "But he left his family behind. His mate was pure WindClan, of course, so she wouldn't come. So he begged to have his kits brought here," she swept her tail over the two mewling kits. "We rescued them. Hopefully, they will learn the ways of a SkyClan warrior."

Lizardclaw arched her back and hissed. "This Clan is for true warriors!" she spat, her eyes blazing. A few cats caterwauled in agreement. "Don't tell me you're trying to turn this into a rabbit-chasing Clan," Blizzardsky yowled. 

Reedwhisker snarled at them. "These are my kits! If you don't trust them, you might as well not trust me," 

Brightstar raised her tail for silence. "These cats will hopefully be as loyal as any other cat here." she called.

"What are their names?" protested a young apprentice called Cloudpaw.

Brightstar bowed her head. "We do not know their names," she replied after a moment's silence. "So we will have to name them. What do you think, Reedwhisker?"

He hesitated before declaring, "They shall be Coalkit and Birdkit."