eight

ERICA HAD BECOME tired, so she left Topanga's before her friends

ERICA HAD BECOME tired, so she left Topanga's before her friends. When she returned home, Stuart and Jennifer were arguing in the kitchen.

"I don't understand, Stuart." Jennifer said, not realizing that Erica had come home. "You told me that bringing them in would help us, but it's hurting us."

Erica's heart dropped.

They were fighting about her and Malia.

"All we do is fight now." Jennifer said. "I miss loving you the way I used to."

"We can't just kick them out, Jen." Stuart said. "They need us."

"I know." Jennifer said. "I love them, I really do, but are we really capable of taking care of them?"

Erica ran upstairs into her room. She cried into her pillow, not wanting to be heard.

"I know when I'm not wanted." Erica said, crying. She got up, pulled out a suitcase, and started packing it. As she put her favorite dress into her bag, she caught a glimpse of her arm, and an idea popped into her head.

Erica headed to the bathroom, looking for the razor, but it was nowhere to be found.

She sat on the floor of the bathroom and cried for what seemed like hours, but in reality had only been moments.

In a moment when she calmed down she heard the door slam, and a car start in the driveway.

Then she heard Stuart yelling, and Erica flinched as the door slammed again.

She was alone.

Erica jumped up, to her notebook, and began to write.

When she was finished, she looked at Stuart's pills.

Just do it. She thought to herself. Everyone would be better off without you.

Erica hesitantly opened the pill bottle. Pouring ten pills into her hand.

Shakily she looked at them.

She swallowed one.

Then another.

Then another.

And another.

Until there were no more left in her hand.

And then the world went dark.