Chapter 22: Conquer

Comenzar desde el principio

They heard their rage.

~

"That sucked." Percy tried to sound humoured, but he could tell that did nothing to lighten the mood. The two had found themselves in the same room, falling from the ceiling.

He could barely see Nico's pale face with what little light they had. He looked visibly shaken, but he might as well be looking into a mirror.

The Labyrinth won that round. Percy wasn't sure whether he could handle another.

Nico didn't reply to the comment. Instead, he found interest in scrutinising his sword as the two sat on the cold floor.

"I'm curious to why they haven't killed us yet." Nico said bluntly.

"The Labyrinth is its own entity. It likes fun and games. Maybe it's not taking orders from Gaia to kill us on sight." Percy answered, though much of it was speculation.

"But once we step out beyond that door..."

"It begins again."

Percy stared at the door in question. It looked ordinary. A wooden body with steel hinges and brackets. A rusty handle.

He exhaled. He didn't want to go out, and he was pretty sure Nico didn't either. But sooner or later, they would have to. They were on a timer, weren't they? To finish this. Opening the Doors so souls could enter the Underworld again.

"Whenever you're ready." Was all Percy said. He looked down at the son of Hades.

Nico looked down at his feet, his hair blocking his expression. He got up and held his blade tightly.

"Don't be a coward and ditch me like the last time." The edges of his face curled into a smile.

Percy readied Riptide, grinning. Then it morphed back into a serious expression. He opened the door, and the two charged into the Labyrinth once again.

~

Cold fear hit them like a gale the second they stepped out.

Nico heard voices in his head. He drove them back whilst pushing on. Percy was evidently having trouble as well, his face twisted into a mix of fear and anger.

The voices were many, some familiar, some unidentifiable.

You are no prince of darkness, or the underworld, one hissed. Nothing but a shadow of your father.

You will remain an outcast from your demigod brethren, another whispered.

You should have saved your sister, the last lamented.

Nico's knees suddenly felt weak. Suddenly that voice became much more clear, all others slowly faded. He heard it with such terrifying clarity.

I can give you Bianca again.

His legs gave way. He fell to the ground. He hit his head repeatedly, shouting hoarsely, "Go away. She's gone. She's gone!"

He shut his eyes as tears spilled from them. He saw her. Alive. Vigour and soul flowed endlessly in her cheeks. She was wearing her cap, not yet a Hunter. She waved at him, smiling. She beckoned him, closer.

"No!" He screamed, his eyes flying open. Then he saw what lay ahead in front of him.

Ghosts. They were unfamiliar to him, grey and voided of expression. Their lifeless eyes gazed through him, to his very soul. They had no mouth. They stretched their arms to him.

A howling sound of the spirits filled his ears in an unholy cacophony. He could feel their anguish and the pure terror they radiated.

Join us, they seemed to say.