Chapter 22: Conquer

Chapter 22: Conquer

Smoke drifted upwards in lazy fumes as dawn broke over the horizon. The shrouds were burned, the burials completed.

The gods and demigods were gathered in the amphitheatre. The demigods sat around it as usual, but on this occasion, their godly parents had joined them. Even the demigods that had joined the Hunters were located with their half-siblings, with no signs of disgruntlement. Heavy silence choked the air as much as the smoke, perhaps even more so.

Demeter laid her hand around the shoulder of the Katie Gardner, whose tear stained face was hidden behind her olive hair. Hermes was consoling Connor Stoll, who seemed to be in equal despair. The father didn't do much good at holding back his emotions.

Artemis gazed at the remnants of her Hunters' shrouds emotionlessly, or so it would seem. Her once piercing blue eyes had lost their sharpness, and her hands were, for once, trembling.

Dionysus clutched the hand of his remaining son, Pollux, tightly. His eyes darted around like a jaguar, yet they were filled with sadness. He thrust out his free hand and a bottle of wine began to form, then he made a fist. The bottle disappeared.

And so on...

Thalia Grace picked at her bowstring, bags under her eyes from exhaustion. She looked to her right, at her father.

The lord of Olympus was faring no better than his relatives. His back was arched from the lack of a throne, his arms drummed the concrete seats of the amphitheatre dejectedly, his face spoke levels of emotions, none of which were positive.

But he knew, he was a leader. A king. And curse him to Tartarus if he hid when everyone needed him the most.

He rose up. Thalia jerked back abruptly in surprise. Everyone watched the Olympian king in his Bermuda shorts and t-shirt as he walked down the steps wordlessly.

He raised his hand. Lightning struck the shrouds, relentlessly, bolt after bolt, until it was reduced to cinders. He stepped onto the platform. His feet burned from the ashes, but he didn't care. It was time he experienced hardship again.

He could feel the eyes of everyone staring at him. His brother, his sister, his wife, his sons and daughters, his half-blooded relatives.

He cleared his throat, and spoke.

"I know, I have not been a good leader." He started. "I have made mistakes, and I have chosen pride over justice. I have failed in being a good father." He looked at Thalia.

"I have failed in my duties as king of Olympus, and one of those duties, was to protect the godly family, and all mortals, from those who seek to do us harm."

"And now, we stand before our fallen heroes. Those who have sacrificed themselves because of my arrogance. I failed to foresee this, and take the required actions to prevent the Giants' uprising."

"But I say we do not let their deaths be in vain. I will not let their ghosts be left eternally restless. They will enter Elysium as heroes, and know that we, that I, that all of us, have conquered the forces that wish to end our reign."

"If I or my brothers and sisters end up in oblivion, so be it. But I pray that you will join me in the final battle."

There was a moment of tense silence. One second passed. Two, three.

Then the amphitheatre erupted into a thunderous roar. Everyone jumped to their feet. The sound must have carried on over Long Island Sound, across New York City. The ground and heavens shook, and the Giants, wherever they were, heard their pain, heard their grief, but most clear of all...