Final Chapter: Off the Edge of Fantasy

Aloft a tall, lonely cliff at the beach stood Jet Kid. With every wave that crashed against the rocks, another thought ran through his head of the promises he made and the people who loved him. The people he took advantage of. With his fists clenched, he reminded himself that it was for the greater good. Just as he began to set his coordinates, he heard the sound of tires rolling along the gravel road approaching. Out of the car jumped what he came to know as his family.

Jet Kid turned his head and there was Bernadette, Uncle Jambers, and Scott the drug store manager. Jet Kid's eyes lit up with the rewarding feeling of seeing them all again, only to turn back down towards the rocky ocean beneath, remembering what he came here to do.

"Wait, Jet Kid!" Yelled Bernadette, "Please, hold on!"

Jet Kid searched for words. "This is hard enough Bernadette, why do you have to make it harder? I told you that there's no stopping me."

Bernadette approached Jet Kid warmly, with his back still turned to her. "I didn't come to stop you... I came to say goodbye."

Jet Kid, on the brink of tears, turned to Bernadette. A rough wind blew and Bernadette's floral dress fluttered with it. "Forgive me" he said with a gentle smile.

Bernadette pushed herself onto Jet Kid for her final embrace. From behind her, he saw Uncle Jambers nodding with approval and Scott staring blankly, obviously not wanting to be there but coming anyways because he would feel bad if he didn't. It was at this beautiful moment, Jet Kid cherished Bernadette's warmth and realized that he may not be able to fulfill all of her wishes, but he was content with being able to be with her. And she felt the same. Bernadette slipped out of Jet Kid's arms and held his hands in hers. She said to him with a trembling voice, "Thank you for giving me the time to love you."

Jet Kid looked at the ground and smiled brightly. He tried to think of a way to respond, but he realized he didn't need to say anything. Jet kid turned back up to gaze deeply into Bernadette's pastel blue eyes for the last time, letting the tears of joy roll down his cheeks. Then with one last sigh, he turned back towards the ocean. He missed her already, but she was a girl and he a plane. There was always this point. He knew this would happen from the start. He feared this moment from day one, but why did he feel so happy?

With determination, he set his coordinates accordingly and turned on his turbines. With a heart full of encouragement, he leaped towards the peeking sunrise and soared into the space where the clouds and ocean touched. With his fist towards the stars and his mind looking forward to the new tomorrow, he said with deep sincerity, "when you're a jet, you're a jet for life."