My eyes widen. Chills explode down my spine. "Azzaziel." I choke on his name.

"And you must be the Council's next great hope. Aydan, is it?"

My human body goes stiff.

"Don't worry, I'd recognize you anywhere, even if you'd been more careful. But, you really should practice better control; prevent your angelic skin from glowing through your human form. Otherwise these people may think that you're possessed. And you know what these pagans do to the ones they think are possessed, don't you?"

I ignore him and push through the thicket. Elle's body is sprawled out on the forest floor, bending at odd angles. Her flesh hangs in shredded pieces around her legs and torso.

"No!" I scream, collapsing next to her. I pull her tattered body into my arms. "No." My voice falters. "I'm so sorry, my love. This is my fault. I never should have let you go."

We rock back and forth, my body trembling.

The dream changes in front of me, as Elle impossibly turns into Nesy. I fight against the nightmare, the hell I've survived, desperate for a way out. But it's no use—there will never be a way out . . .

I carry the broken body of my beloved into town. Azzaziel watches, an amused look on his face. "Are you sure you want to get involved? I doubt your bosses would approve."

Like I'm listening to him at all.

The images come faster and faster. Farmers and hunters run after a wolf. Dogs attack. My dagger flies toward the beast . . .

The wolf howls in pain, my knife sticking from its thigh. It stands on its back legs, its body contorting, changing. In moments, the beast transforms into something else. A man. Peeter Stubbe, my human benefactor for more than two years. And one of Azzaziel's servants.

How did I not know?

Azzaziel's sadistic laugh fills the space in my thoughts. "What kind of angel are you, Aydan? You can't even manage to recognize one of my own."

My mind folds in on itself as I toss and turn, unable to free myself from the nightmare . . .

The villagers take Peeter to the town magistrate and beg for justice. I force my will into the humans. Press cruel, vile thoughts into their weak minds. Not an ordinary execution for the murderer, but days of torture and a brutal death the world will never forget. Peeter Stubbe will pay for Elle's death.

"You really think I'll allow you to hurt my pet?" Azzaziel stands too close to me.

"Do you really think I care?"

"I know you do." His truth hangs in the air. "However, I have a solution for your problems, all of them."

"What problems?" My voice sticks to the words as fear wraps around my throat.

"The Council will not let you live in Celestium now. You must know that."

I haven't consider the consequences of my actions, only the retribution I crave. "And?"

"I will not allow an angel to kill my servant."

The threat coats my skin, erupting a fresh set of shivers down my spine.

"Fortunately for you, I can use your talents."

The town's magistrate stretches Peeter on a rack. His bones crack as his executioners pull his arms from their sockets. Pressure releases from my chest as Peeter screams.