1; one day they would come to pass

||act one||

"cora, you sure you're okay to grab lunch at noon? i know emmy won't want you to leave, even if she's staying with bon."

cora sighed lightly into the phone's receiver at her older sister's comment. emerson, her three year old daughter, was not likely to willingly let her beloved mother leave, even if she was to be left in the care of one of her favorite aunts, bonnie bennett.

cora was emerson's world. her mother, and her father. her everything. they were as inseparable as mother and daughter could possibly be.

"i've read it's good for children with separation anxiety. you know, to leave them with someone they love. she's going to have to adjust," cora spoke softly to her older sister as she glanced into the other room from the hallway. emerson was contently sitting with a few toys her 'unca dam' had generously gifted her for her third birthday. cora didn't desire to leave her daughter, but it was an unfortunate yet necessary means to an end.

"okay, okay. tell my favorite little niece i said hello and give her a huge from me! see you in an hour little sis. bye, i love you." caroline always knew exactly what to say and reassurance flooded cora's system.

"love you, too."

cora promptly placed her phone upon the granite countertops. her blue eyes shuttered close swiftly, before she reopened them and took a deep breath in before continuing on. that's all she could do.

"hey emmy," cora greeted her daughter by grasping her in her arms securely and tickling the toddler a small bit.

emerson's melodic laughter filled the room and cora smiled in delight at the sight. it replicates that of her father's, though a rare sight it was for him.

"hey momma!" emerson cheered. she kicked her small legs back in forth as cora had sat her daughter on her lap on the soft couch.

"hey baby. momma's gotta head out for a bit and see aunt caroline, but aunt bonnie will be here to play," cora managed the most delightful and cheery tone for the small girl as she broke the news.

at first, emerson's face emulated happiness and hope flooded cora's system, but once the realization of what was to later come was understood in emerson's mind, her rosy bottom lip quivered in the slightest.

"oh baby, don't cry." cora tightened her hold on her daughter and stroked her dark hair comfortingly. when emerson had been born, cora had made a vow that she promised never to break. as long as she could, she would protect her daughter to the ends of the earth.

"momma! pwease don't leave," shimmering tears cascaded down the youngest forbes's face as she established her disdain towards the news. she shook her head back and forth lightly in opposition.

"you'll be okay baby girl. aunt bonnie will make sure to take amazing care of you, okay?" cora moved a few stray hairs out from her daughter's face to reveal her sparkling blue eyes. no, not the shade of blue cora's eyes held, but emerson's father, kai. the little girl's blue eyes had become a daily reminder for cora of the man she had lost. the father emerson had lost.

"okay," the young girl huffed, grabbing her mom's hand with her tiny one. "pinkie pwomise?" those blue eyes swayed cora to her daughter's every request and she followed by interlocking her finger with her little girl's with a slight smirk planted upon her face.

the two sat in silence for a few comfortable minutes before the ring of the doorbell abruptly interrupted their peaceful moment.

"that's your aunt bonnie!" cora cheered in an attempt to ease em's worries. she helped her daughter down from the couch and pulled her into a hug and following the hug, into her arms.

the wooden door swung open as bonnie turned the handle and with that, cora's best friend became apparent in the doorway.

"em! there's my favorite little girl!" bonnie's kind words and cheery tone caused emerson to burst into another fit of giggles.

"so everything will be okay for a few hours? three and a half tops." cora's nerves radiated out of her words and emulated from her worrying tone.

"everything will be fine. go! have fun and enjoy time with your sister, alright?" bonnie replied, taking emerson from cora's arms and into her own.

"okay, okay," cora told her best friend, "mommy loves you very much." she placed a chaste kiss upon her daughter's small head filled with curls and smoothed them down accordingly.

tears were shed, of course, but cora escaped from her front door with her daughter waving goodbye in mild content after her mother.

||act two||

cora's fork made circular motions around her plate as she sat across from her elder sister at the grill where they had decided upon meeting for lunch.

"cora, honey. is something wrong?" caroline's tone held a endearing care to it, and cora's facade fell as it often did around her sister. caroline could read her like a book.

"i-i guess. i've just been thinking lately," cora paused for emphasis as caroline's face held a look of 'this can't be good' and cora resumed, "emerson will never have a dad. uh, a true dad. i just don't think it's fair." cora slumped in her seat as she let her sister become aware of what had been troubling her mind for the past few days more than ever. her mouth turned downwards at her words and her eyes glossed over.

caroline frowned while exhaling softly. she extended her hand out to reach her sister's. all she had left. "i-i know its hard, but emerson loves you, adores you. she may notice when she's older, but for now, she's more than happy with just you. you're an amazing mother, sis," caroline spoke softly to her sister, meaning every word that filled the prior silence.

"so are you." with a squeeze of her outstretched hand, cora gave caroline all the reassurance she needed. maybe things wouldn't be okay, yet, but one day they would come to pass.

"so," cora cleared her throat and retracted her hand, steering the conversation to a lighter subject,"how are my favorite little nieces doing?"

"same old, i guess? i'm just wary of the day they'll start showing signs of magic. i'll need you then." caroline laughed at her statement. cora was a witch, a rare one at that. neither liz nor caroline had ever tapped into any power, but the youngest daughter had. they figured it stemmed from some ancestor. it wouldn't have been the craziest thing to ever happen in mystic falls.

"yeah," cora whispered softly in reply. her mind was still floating among to blue clouds above. "yeah."

"you still love him, don't you?"

"i don't know if that counts since he's gone."

"he doesn't have to be in your heart."

a/n
short intro, but i hope you all like it!!