chapter 2

asa

"hello?"

i stop whistling as i hear the unfamiliar voice call out timidly. i freeze on the spot, shocked by the unexpected sound which interrupts my train of thought and unconscious whistling. the person does not speak again and i relax back into my once calm position after tensing up.

"hello?" i reply wearily after a few seconds, "is someone there?"

the other voice hesitates

"y-yeah. w-what are you doing here?"

i blink in confusion, still flabbergasted at the thought of someone else being there and myself being complete oblivious to it no matter how long i had been sitting here, under the tree.

"i, i uh- i just came here to think. i-it looked quiet, that's all." i replied, feeling slightly guilty for intruding someone else's space even tough i didn't know they were here.

"oh."

 "im asa, by the way," i reply as i feel obligated to, "sorry to disturb you."

"i-im andrew, and its fine." the other voice breathes out.

"and why are you here?" i ask almost instantaneously, intrigued and confused as to why the other person was here too.

"i uh, i like to sit here, i guess."  they replied hesitating, sounding slightly untrue with their words. "nobody knows though." they added on quickly after a few seconds had passed, the statement obviously added on last second.

"ah." i nodded. "do you mind if i come round to the other side of the tree, your side?" i asked. 

"uh, i mean, o-okay"  they spoke uncertainly as i stood up, shuffling around to the other side of the tree, smiling at the boy sitting on the ground at my feet.