Rapunzel And Her Tower

Start from the beginning

It was a photo of me and James when we were about one and he had his arm around me and I had a hand on his wrist while we were asleep. At first glance you wouldn’t think it was moving but if you look carefully you can see our shoulders gently moving as we breathed. The photo was fading slightly. I’d always told James that this was my favourite photo of us because I thought it showed that, even in our sleep, we knew the other was there and wanted to protect them.

I tucked the photo away in the pocket of my robes after staring at it for a while. James couldn’t try and get me to forgive him by showing me old photos. Although it did give me a pang of guilt every time I looked at him that I didn’t have before. I was stubborn for a reason.

“Why don’t you just forgive him Court?” Sirius suggested for what seemed like the millionth time. We were sitting in the common room late Saturday night just talking and James had just cropped up in conversation.

“Don’t start Sirius.” I mumbled not wanting to talk about it. Sirius could be very persuading and he knew it.

“Court we both know you miss him and it’s only been a week.” Sirius told me.

“I don’t want to talk about this.” I said, honestly, standing up.

“Where are you going, Court?” Sirius asked in a bored tone, he was still sitting on the floor of the common room.

“To bed because I’m not going to listen to another lecture about why I should make up with James.” I told him, irritated.

“Wait.” Sirius said, jumping up from the floor.

“Padfoot! Ready for the Halloween prank?” I heard a too familiar voice from the stairs next to the ones I was about to ascend. I had that familiar sinking feeling in my stomach as James saw me through his glasses. Sirius caught my eye and I looked away quickly before running up the stairs.

“Courtney!” I heard Sirius call. The only person awake was Keilyn and she was just reading a book. She’d looked up as I’d shut the door as quietly as I could.

“Another lecture?” She asked knowingly and I nodded. Keilyn was the only one who hadn’t badgered on about me making up with James. I’d told her how I felt about the whole thing and she understood, thankfully. I walked into the bathroom to change into my pyjamas and brush my teeth and when I came out I found Keilyn scowling at a letter.

“You never get mail.” I stated, my tone hinting curiosity.

“It’s my godmother.” She grumbled, crumpling up the letter and throwing it on the floor. “She says me and Em have to go home for Christmas.”

“Is that a bad thing?” I asked. I realised that none of us really knew much about Keilyn other than the obvious and basic details. Keilyn nodded with a sour expression. “It’s only two weeks.” I said trying to cheer her up.

“Longest two weeks of my life.” She grumbled and I thought for a second.

“My birthday’s in the Christmas holidays, do you think you’d be able to escape your godmother for a few days?” I offered with a smile, the whole James-Sirius thing forgotten at the sight of Keilyn’s distress.

“And Em too?” Keilyn asked.

“Of course.” I replied with a smile. Keilyn smiled and thanked me. I told her not to worry and I picked the letter up from the floor and throw it in the bin.

“My godmother hates us.” Keilyn said while I was pulling my hair into a very messy and curly ponytail. I turned and let Keilyn continue. “Always has done. I don’t really know why my parents made her my godmother.”