I scrubbed at the mixing bowl, the remnants of pancake batter were nearly dried on and it was taking a bit more effort than I was willing to give. I dunked it into the water and let out a small sigh as I returned to scrubbing at it. Madeline had wanted just eggs for breakfast but had allowed me to make pancakes. She had been a bit petulant at the thought but had nearly immediately caved when she realized it meant she could get plates together for everyone.

Lucas had brought Avery down for some food but when Linnette and Ollie didn't show, Maddy demanded we make them a plate and go see. Which lead to me making up two plates and dutifully carrying them towards Linnette's room, where we discovered that Linnette and Ollie were going to spend more time in bed. Although Linnette had taken the plates with a bright smile to Madeline despite her slightly red face and her ignoring me in an almost comical way.

A plate was set beside my on the counter and I lifted my arm to look at Madeline. She tilted her head down and batted her eyelashes at me. "Sor'ee." Her jam covered face was too adorable and I grabbed the clean wash cloth from the counter and bent down, wiping at her face.

"You are too much like me." I gave her a small smile and she giggled before throwing her arms around me. I hugged her back, that bittersweet feeling clenching my chest. I slowly let her go as the front door opened. My wolf slowly lifted her head, her lethargy nearly made me stumble as I tried to stand up.

"Hello!" At the healer's voice Madeline smiled brightly and giggled, jumping up and down in her spot.

"'Issa!" She dashed for the door right as the healer walked through it. The older woman caught her in her arms, lifting her up to give her a hug.

"I smell pancakes! Were they good?" At the question, Maddy nodded vigorously, her curls bouncing all over the place. Elissa-May's eyes darted to me for a moment and she gave me a cursory glance. After a moment her eyes narrowed a fraction as they landed on my face. "Are you sleeping well, Alpha?" The question seemed loaded and I wiped at my face with the back of my hand, trying to hide the sudden wince I had as my head throbbed.

"As well as to be expected." At my words she paused for a moment, staring at me for a moment as if she wanted to say something before she simply nodded her head.

"Alright, if it gets worse you come and see me. I'm going to take Madeline for her therapy." She bounce Maddy as she said it and the little girl giggled and clapped her hands. I could tell she wanted to speak but she was holding back, she was becoming more and more aware that her babbling wasn't how it was supposed to. I tried to reassure her it was okay but Elissa-May said it would happen and as long as we didn't draw any unnecessary negative attention to it, she would get used to it.

"Alright, I'll see you two later." I gave them both a small wave and They said their quick goodbyes as they left the house. I turned back to the dishes, rubbing at my forehead once more. The headaches were getting to me. I knew I needed to start sleeping properly for them to go away but I just couldn't. I slowly finished up the dishes, setting them all in the dish rack as I rinsed them.

"Alpha?" At Lucas's voice I turned around, wiping my hands on a tea towel. He looked a little uneasy and I felt a bit of apprehension.

"Is everything okay? Does Avery need some help?" I quickly set the towel down on the counter and moved towards him but he slowly shook his head.

His shoulders slumped and he glanced at me. "I just... I want to talk to you about something." My apprehension grew at the words but I gave him a firm nod anyway. I would listen to whatever he said, even if I felt like it was something that I wasn't going to like.

"Do you want t go to the office?" I kept my voice low and he gave a slow nod before turning around and heading back out into the hall. I followed after him, he started towards the office and I fell into step beside him. "Where is Avery?" I wasn't used to seeing him without her. She was nearly a permanent fixture to Lucas.