Eight: Stay with me

Narrator

Tuesday and Saturday were the two days out of the week where she was allowed to freely go out of the hospital, supervised. Saturdays was when she spent her hospital leave with her mother, having mundane conversations over lavish meal coordinated to her special diet. But the fact that she was actually verbally interacting with her otherwise nonchalant mother was a huge improvement in their relationship.

She became appreciative of her mother actively making an effort to be with her instead of always working. Her mother knew that time was running out fast and after countless of conversations with her assistant, Mrs Choi, she came to realise that she couldn't continue to be distant from her daughter. If the worse was to happen and all the surgeries failed to improve Jinah's health, she didn't want to be left with regret for never having any sort of time for her daughter.

However Jinah's favourite day of the week was always Tuesday. That was the day Hoseok came for her and his sister. She went to another baseball game of his, this time with Haneul accompanying her. They took her to their favourite burger restaurants and many other places that she had never been to.

Jinah was stood in front of her mirror, gently stroking the brush tip of her pink lip tint across her pale lips. Being around Hoseok made her feel great but also made her more self-conscious about her appearance than ever before. She wanted to look decent in his eyes which was a laughable thought for her given the context of her situation, her illness was painfully obvious on her face and body.

From her mirror, she saw Hoseok entering the room. Automatically the corners of her mouth quirked up further and further until she had a stupid grin across her face. The way she acted around him was embarrassing but no matter how hard she tried, there was no stopping her body from reacting the way it always did. She stopped trying to appear 'cool' after Hoseok asked her why she was being so weird. She came to realise that she didn't need to hide how she felt because he either was too oblivious to know or he was simply ignoring it.

"You ready, Jinah?" he asked with that big smile which always made her feel light-headed.

She stuffed her lip tint in her jacket pocket and then nodded, not being able to trust her voice.

"Have fun you two," said Haneul, looking up from her magazine.

"I wish you could come," said Jinah, putting on her hat.

"Me too, I'm so sad." Haneul tried to pout her lips as she fought the urge to smile.

It was one of her devious but genius plans. It was simple and highly effective, all she had to do was just be busy and be unable to join her hospital leave with Hoseok. It meant Jinah could be alone with him.

It didn't take long for Haneul to find out that there was something going on between the pair. When she did notice it, their fondness of each other became increasingly obvious to the young teenager.

The only people who didn't seem to get it was her idiot of a brother and her awkward but lovable bed neighbour. Very typical. She let out a sigh and shook her head. Jinah looked at her with sad eyes as she thought the sigh was because she couldn't join their trip.

Hoseok put his arm around her shoulder and gently pulled her in to a side hug. 

"You excited?"

She looked up to meet his glittering eyes and smiled.

"Both you and Haneul have said some great things and I want to know if it is worth the hype," she said with a shrug.

He gave her a knowing smile, excited for what the day was to bring. He had been there many times with his family, ever since he was a little boy and still he never got tired of the place. He knew just what bus or train to get there and so they arrived in an hour without any hassle.