Needy Boy

A week went by while Evan's sister was getting settled in, trying to get back to her old life. Not once did Evan mention to her how he felt about her traveling and not being there for him. I wanted to push him, but I knew it wouldn't help anyone. I needed to let him handle things on his own. I was baking a cake together with Laurel at my own apartment, gossiping about the things I knew about Evan's sister. I was horrible, I know, but you know, sometimes you couldn't help but spill sensitive information to your best girl. Those things just slipped out.

"You're kidding," Laurel told me as she dumped a bit too much sugar into the bowl.

"You're not following the recipe." I told her and pulled back when she slapped my hand away when I reached for the tablet which was right in front of her on the counter, "Seriously?'

"Sometimes you need to follow your instincts."

"You can do that when you're cooking, baking is much more precise."

"It's not."

"It is!" I told her, "Trust me if you use too much of one ingredient the whole thing will be ruined."

Lauren didn't look so sure anymore, "You bake more often than I do."

Reaching for the tablet I replayed the video, wanting to go over it one more time to make sure the cake wouldn't be completely ruined because Laurel was following her instinct rather than a recipe.

"Is Evan still mad at his friend?"

"Isn't mad that Nick, they can never last without each other."

That made her laugh, "So the one you should be jealous of is Nick. He can steal your boyfriend away."

I glanced up from my tablet and met Laurel's amused gaze, "Yeah, Emily and I shouldn't be surprised when those two run away with each other one day."

Laughing Laurel shook her head at me, "But I get it. You know it's an overprotective brother thing. They never think anyone is good enough to be with their sister. Even if it's Nick he doesn't want him to get close to her."

"Nick would never cross that line, he is a good guy."

"I know he is." Laurel muttered, "Too bad Emily got to him first."

I shook my spoon at her, "No, Nick got to her first. He chased her."

"Nick chased a girl?" Laurel didn't sound like she believed me, but it was the truth.

"Yes."

"Then there must be something special about that girl." Laurel narrowed her eyes on me, as she tried to make me spill the beans, but there wasn't anything to tell, "She must be highly intelligent or did she model for the latest magazines? Maybe an internet celebrity?"

I laughed at that, "No, Emily was a college student when they met, working at one of his clubs. She is a smart girl, but I wouldn't say she is a genius. She is pretty, but not a supermodel."

"Then why did he chase her?"

I smiled at that, knowing exactly why Nick chased her, "It's a feeling you get one you meet that one person who makes you think of nothing else but them. Who becomes your world, the one person you want to see the first thing in the morning."

"Yet you haven't spent any time together with Evan ever since his sister got back." Laurel reminded me.

"They need some alone time together."

"Well, I suppose I can't say anything bad about her since she's not around much. They must have a lot to discuss."

"Evan and I are good." I reassured her, "Nothing to worry about."