Chapter 2

(Y/n) could have flown into the clouds if she hadn't been rooted to the ground, jaw on the floor. "Really?" she whispered, awed.

But the Headmaster was already walking ahead, waving fervently at a short brunette girl struggling to scold a group of students that refused to listen. "Yuki! Yuki, hello!"

The girl, Yuki, blinked and turned to the Headmaster, a little startled. "Headmaster?"

"Call me Dad!"

Yuki blushed a hundred shades of red. "I mean—Dad?" Her wide eyes found (y/n), then Shiro, and she forgot about the girls trying to get around her to the Moon Dorms. Her blush deepened, and she jumped straight up. Her eyebrows raised, friendly interest shining out through her delicate features. "You must be the new students. Nice to meet you." She bowed, then straightened in a jolt. "I'll go get Zero. Wait here."

"Bring Kaname along as well, please," the Headmaster called after her.

"Okay!" She hurried off into the crowd of revolting students, her small form immediately lost in the mass of black uniforms.

The Headmaster sighed dreamily, ushering (y/n) and Shiro to a side of the path a little ways away from the mass of gathered students. "Isn't Yuki just the cutest? I'm sure you will get along great with her, you two."

"She looks like a really nice person," (y/n) said, sick with nerves and excited butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

"Sure does," Shiro retorted, attention elsewhere.

"Yuki knows about vampires, and she's trained to deal with almost anything that can go down with either of the classes. You can rely on her for anything." He froze, then laughed dismissively, "Except for studying. She's not the brightest cookie in the jar. Fortunately, Zero makes up for it more than enough." The sparkles around the Headmaster died down. "Speaking of Zero, he's a little cold at first, but he'll warm up to you in no time. For now, don't take any of his actions or words to heart."

Cold? Not as cold as Shiro, for sure. As intimidating as the Headmaster's warning was, (y/n) trusted her ability to get through anyone's icy attitude—obviously with a bit of help from the Ice King himself, Shiro, because she also knew herself to have a very fragile heart.

The crowd gathering outside the path of the dorms was primarily composed of girls. (Y/n) watched amazed as they cheered and called for the Night Students with the enthusiasm of lifelong, devoted fans. Without Yuki—whom (y/n) now understood had been keeping the multitude at bay—the students pushed forward into the path and crowded in front of the gates.

The sun sunk fully behind the horizon, painting the sky in shades of red and pink and approaching purples. Shiro folded the parasol away.

As if the sunset had been a magical cue, the Moon Dorm gates opened.

If the gates hadn't creaked their announcement that the Night Students were coming, (y/n) would have still known. A swarm of imaginary ants—or was it only thrill?—crawled onto her from the soles of her feet up. Heat, electric in the same way crackling static was, buzzed into her bloodstream. It was a good type of heat. The kind that made her shiver. The type that wanted to pour out of her fingertips and pull, embrace everything and everyone around.

The Night Students walked out, waltzing like white diamonds out the gates. They were everything and more than she'd expected. Beautiful, graceful. Everything.

(Y/n) nearly swayed toward them. Her heartbeat quivered, ribcage expanding with a breath of awe. She felt tiny watching them, insignificant like a pebble among sculpted jewels, waiting to be discarded. It had been so long since she'd seen so many vampires together—so many people she didn't know.