Chapter 1

The school house let out and children piled out of the small building. They ran through the green grass as the sun shined down brightly and a cool spring breeze flowed through the air. Willow took a breath of the fresh air, she was exhausted from sitting in class all day and was ready to get away from everyone.

She walked through the grass, her long dress swiping against her legs with every step she took. She made her way to the small creek that she had always gone to everyday after school since she was five. Her and her best friend, Lucius would always play there. As they got older they would just sit and talk but Lucius wasn't into school anymore. He graduated five years ago and rarely came to see Willow. Willow wished she could have been born five years earlier so she wouldn't be alone everyday.

Once she made it to the creek, she sat down in the middle of the running water on a rock so she wouldn't get wet. She placed her elbows in her knees and rested her head in her hands. She sat and daydreamed for a while. She listened to the birds chirp and watched the bugs zip around. The breeze set in and her blonde hair flowed and some of it was plastered on her peach skin.

"I didn't expect to see you here," she heard a voice say from behind her.

She turned around and saw Lucius walking towards her with his hands in his pockets. A grin formed on her face the second she saw him. How she adored Lucius. His dark hair and eyes, the way he moved and talked. She loved him very much, though she would never be able to tell him that. 

"Is that sarcasm?" Willow asked him as she wanted him sit down on a rock next to her.

"Yes," he replied with a grin. "How was school?"

"I feel like a child every time you ask me that," she replied looking down at the water.

"Well aren't you?" Lucius asked.

She could tell he was trying to make her angry.

"No," Willow replied, "as a matter of fact I'm a woman. A very strong and independent woman. I don't need a man."

"No man?" He chuckled, "That's what they all say."

"It must be true," Willow said, "because I've never seen your significant other."

"Don't bring that up again," Lucius replied with a laugh, "I've said a million times I looking for a the right woman...more like waiting."

"Waiting?" Willow asked. "Who? Oh...I know. It's Veronica! No, no...Penelope!"

"For who I'm waiting on is for me to know and only me," Lucius said grinning.

Willow bent down and dipped her hand in the water. While Lucius was paying attention, Willow swiped her hand through the water and splashed him. Water sprinkled all over the side of his body. He clenched his jaw and turned to face me.

"You asked for it," he said shaking his head.

Willow stood up and walked through the water a big smile of her face. She could hear Lucius trailing behind her. She felt his arm wrap around her waist and pull her back. They both started laughing hysterically as the drenched each other with water. Willow stepped on Lucius's foot causing him to lose his balance falling down, pulling her with him. They sat in the water laughing. Their laughs turned into chuckles and the silence filled the air.

"Good job," Willow said, "my clothes are dirty. Mother will be very mad."

"You started it," Lucius replied. "Just don't go home if you're scared."

"I never want to go home," Willow said. "I want to go out there."

She pointed towards the woods.

"Are you insane?" Lucius asked. "You can't do that...the creatures..."

"I'm not worried about the creatures," she replied. "I'm not really worried about anything. I just want to see what else is out there."

"But you're not allowed the leave," he said. "It's the council's rules."

"I don't care what the council says," Willow said, "I care about what I say. What I want to do. And what I want to do is discover not just the woods but the whole world. I want to know what it out there...I don't want to be stuck here my whole life."

"I honestly think this place is fine," Lucius said running a hand through his hand.

"You've been alive for twenty years," Willow said, "you've been around for a long time."

"Thanks."

"What I'm saying is," she said, "aren't you sick of this place?"

"I can't be sick of this place," Lucius said. "I agree with the council so it's impossible to be sick of this village. But if I was like you and didn't agree with the council then...no. I wouldn't be sick of this place still because I'm scared of the creatures that lurk. Haven't you seen them?"

"Yes," Willow said. "But don't you ever wonder why they only hunt us? Don't you ever wonder why they don't migrate? They are animals aren't they?"

"I suppose," Lucius said, "but I don't give it much thought. I don't need to think about it because it doesn't apply to me."

"Come with me," Willow said.

"Where?" He asked.

"Into the woods!"

"You're crazy," Lucius said, "you are kidding aren't you?"

Willow was not kidding. She really wasn't. She wanted to get out of the village. But if she told Lucius she wasn't kidding he would think she's different and he wouldn't want to talk to her.

"Of course I'm kidding," Willow said, "it was just a joke."

"Good," Lucius replied.

Lucius got up from the ground. He reached his hand and helped Willow up.

"Come," he said, "come to my home...I'll get you dry clothes so you don't get in trouble from mommy."

Lucius chuckled.

"Be quiet," she said, "you were once a child as well, you know?"