Power of the Mind

I was standing in line to apply for my passport and I let my mind wander. Hundreds of idea flew in and out of my head but one idea stuck like an octopus’ arm strangling its prey. I have to inform you that it was drizzling when this idea popped into my head. The idea was, if a lady was to fall in front of me because of condition of the floor, I would act like a hero and pick her up. Of course, it’s my mind, so the girl was beautiful, had a fair skin, long hair, gorgeous eyes, nice body, and was wearing an inappropriate shoes for the weather. I didn’t know why this idea stood out but it did.

It lingered but finally it went away. A few more ideas came in and out. I was close to being bored to death so I listened to some music and played games on my gadget. As I was battling boredom, (and winning by the way) same idea kept playing over and over and over and over again. Same lady, same circumstances, and same response. I ignored it. I concentrated on what I was doing.

After two hours of standing and waiting in line, the representatives gave us our numbers and told us what to do. They take in 50 applicants per hour, I think. I was number 113 and was scheduled to be accommodated at 1:00 pm. I could have just waited there, I had a lot of money so I can eat whatever I want. This DFA office was mall-based BTW. There are chairs and benches available so I can rest. But I decided to go home.

There are two routes available for me to go home. The one to the left was the shorter one, and the other one was the longer one, obviously. I took the longer route, for some reason. It was still drizzling. I worked my way through a crowded area. As I was nearing the jitney terminal, I saw a lady. She was familiar, I think I saw her somewhere but I wasn’t sure. I looked at her from a far, I was staring, and she looked so familiar. I tried my best not to look creepy. I was about 2 feet away from her, we were going the opposite direction, every step, and I was closer to her, her to me. We were inches away from each other when suddenly. Slip…tugs. She slipped and fell down. The idea that bothered me repeatedly came true. I was shocked. I tried not to laugh but she was smiling. My moment has come. My mind was telling me, “pick her up, pick her come, let’s go”. But my body was not listening. It was frozen. In the end, I did not pick her up. I continued walking. This was a good thing because she was with her boyfriend, he was the one who helped her stand up.

This was not a story of a failed, fairy-tale-like love story. I would like to think of this as a proof on how powerful our minds are. Our minds can create circumstances using our thoughts. You can argue that not all of our ideas come true. That is true. The circumstances that often come true are those which our minds consider relevant. We control our minds, so in return, the circumstances that often come true are those which we consider relevant. We can, in a way, control everything happening around us. We also control our reactions to these circumstances. In my case, I let it slip, just like the lady did.