Fools On Lover's Day

The following is about the characters from Sakura's Secret: http://talesofevermagic.weebly.com/sakuras-secret.html

"It's Lover's Day. How do you not have a gift for her?" Ren stared at Takehiro across the table they sat at. The room was lit with a glow similar to sunlight even though they were under ground. He and Yuuna were visiting the den Takehiro and Hana, once called Ales, were living in. Ren's arms and legs were crossed, his lifted foot tapping in the air. He was looking cross for one who wasn't involved in their relationship anymore. At least, not directly like he used to be.

Takehiro, unmoved by his foul mood, glanced at Yuuna, scowling. "Why did you have to bring him along?" He drawled. The two hadn't gotten along from the beginning, and their relationship wasn't any better now. Not even after Ren had conceded defeat in the battle for Hana's heart. He was now Yuuna's familiar and so always attached to her. If she came then it was only natural he be by her side. So the real question then was, why had the two of them come?

It was as Ren said. The day was Lover's Day, a time set aside once a year during which couples spent quality time together. So why were the two intruding upon his and Hana's first one together?

"Hana is a princess who lived the life of one for a long time," Yuuna started, answering Ren's question instead of Takehiro's. "She's had everything material. Takehiro is likely planning something different for her... If at all," she added, taking a sniff of something in her hand.

Takehiro watched her. She wasn't carrying her usual pipe but had a pouch. It was emitting the same incense she often had smoking in the absent pipe, but it was more convenient. She seemed to be keeping it close to her face more diligently than usual, too. What was she so nervous about? The three of them, on some level or other, were friends. Did she have to have so much anxiety sitting like this with them?

Even so, her intelligent observation wasn't the least bit stunted by her emotions. She was right. Though he didn't seem the type, he'd been considering this day with great care and for a long time too. He didn't even think Hana thought he knew what day it was, but that was better. It meant his efforts would be a surprise. Though--he might not ever admit that he went to such lengths to make today special for her. He'd never been the type to wear his heart on his sleeve. But Hana knew that and would accept his affection without asking him to explain it all. He loved her for that. And that was exactly what made him spill it all to her anyway, no matter how embarrassed he might feel about it.

He sighed, putting his face in his hand.

Just then, he heard the clink of a tea-tray being set down. Glancing up from the fingers over his eyes, he saw the gentle beautiful hands he loved pouring his favorite tea out of the black stone set they had. Blinking with surprise, he straightened up and glanced at Hana.

"I thought I took care of the tea," he said.

Her small smile in reply, though she didn't glance away from her work, sent a fluttering into his heart. But instead of giving himself away, he continued to watch her. And he wondered--how had she taken such control over his proud heart?

"You always take care of the chores and never let me help no matter how hard I try. So I decided to beat you to it this time." She then straightened from pouring and grinned at him. "Let me spoil you a little bit today," she said, causing a warm tightness to fill his chest.

He sighed, looking away and taking the cup in his long elegant fingers. "Very well." He couldn't very well refuse her anyway. Not when she looked so happy the way she did now.

"Hana..." Everyone glanced at Yuuna then as she timidly called her name and Hana tilted her head at her. When Yuuna knew she was waiting for her to talk, she took a breath. "Would you let me speak with you for a moment--in the back?" She asked.