Chapter 2: Deadline Approaches

Damien's pov

I walked into my father's office and sat down on one of the leather chairs in front of his desk. After five minutes of no word spoken I began to wonder why I had been called here, then it came back to my mind, my father had to talk about something important, he had been very vague and thoughtful when he told me to meet him here. It must be important, after centuries of being the devil my father hardly ever has to think about a decision.

I was jerked out of my thoughts by the sound of someone clearing their throat in impatience, I looked up and saw my father giving me a glare. I shrunk back under his gaze and knew that I had zoned out. There wasn't many people in this universe that I am afraid of, but I did fear my father. I had seen what he did to other demons when he wasn't obeyed, enough to know that I didnt want to be on his bad side.

"Damien I called you here to talk about something important. " My father paused and quickly looked around the room with a frightened expression and I just knew that we would be talking about Carlos, he seemed to relax and continued. "Son, I need to talk to you about your claiming of the throne. "

Okay then what is the problem?" I was confused.

"Well you see, your brother is going to make a move for the throne, so I want you on it ASAP. However there are requirements that you must meet first."

Now I was really confused. "What do you mean requirements father, I thought that I was supposed to claim it on my 100th birthday no questions asked. Why didn't you mention this sooner?!" I burst out.

"You are going to take the throne on your birthday, provided that you first fulfil the other requirements, and they are:

1. You are of age, which you will be.

2. You will find the thing that you hate the most and kill it on your birthday.

3. You find your soul mate and claim her."

I nodded my head calmly but in reality I wanted to scream my head off and destroy the room, I mean honestly, does he expect me to snap my fingers and magically have it done? I do have magic, but I didn't control time. "You didn't even think to tell me this before?"

My father didn't say anymore, he just got up and strode out of the room, but not before saying, "you have a month" I watched the door slam shut before picking my fathers desk up and throwing it across the room like I had countless times before, in hell it wasnt a big deal. Then I stomped out of the office and slamming the door so hard that the pictures on the wall shook, then I made my way to the training facility, to vent my remaining rage. One month! I thought angrily, it might not seem like much, to get those three things done, but to kill the thing that you hate the most.... That means an angel. And killing an angel wasn't going to be easy, they were well guarded. All these thoughts run through my mind as I strode down the long, musty halls of the castle.

It took me about five minutes to reach the training centre, I opened the door and looked around until I saw my mentor and best friend Kane. We maintained a steady friendship, better than most considering that mainly all we did was beat eachother up. He was six feet tall and packed with muscle, he had jet black hair in a buzz cut and soulless forest green eyes. As usual he was wearing a tight black shirt, black cargo pants, and combat boots. I walked over to him, he grabbed my hand and we did our handshake which consisted of many fist pumps.

"Which one will it be today?" Kane asked me. There was two types of training that we demons did, physical and powers. Being the Devils son I had a very large amout of power. But, of course, I had already known what I wanted to do the moment I stormed out of my fathers office. "Physical." Kane instantly switched his position from relaxed to defensive as my fist flew towards his face.