Introduction

"You never learn how to write a novel. You can only learn to write the novel you're currently writing." NEIL GAIMAN

It took me eight years from starting to write my first book to seeing my first book published (a different book) and on the shelves in bookstores across half a dozen countries. I hope that some of my tips will make your journey to success (whatever that means for you) faster!

Let me get this out of the way now: There isn't just one way to write a book. There are no rules that can't be broken. I've been writing and learning about writing for years. I've read dozens of books and articles on the craft. Most have helped me grow as a writer, but I've often found that writing 'rule' books are a bit like planting seeds in a pot. Eventually the pot turns out to be too small. Some writers plan absolutely everything about their plot before writing. Some brainstorm and fill up notebooks about character and world backstory before setting pen to page. Some have a thread of an idea and write their first draft with no idea of what will happen next. No method is the right method. I've used all three. And I've also mixed them up - writing the first thirty or a hundred pages with the vaguest idea of what my characters and story are about. Then going back and filling up notebooks with backstory and character development or world building. Then writing a pitch or synopsis to see whether the structure of the story is really there. Then starting over a first draft and working straight through to the end - with a loose idea of how my story might develop and climax. It's up to you to discover what works for you. I would highly recommend familiarizing yourself with as many writing rules and techniques as possible, but always remember, they're not set in stone.

I'm hoping my writing tips will inspire you so that you're coming up with ideas that help to focus your story, improve your writing, and deepen your understanding of what makes a story work.

If you have any particular questions you would like me to answer, please leave them in the comments. If there's any particular subjects you'd like me to write an article on, let me know!

UPDATE APRIL 2015

Over the next few weeks I'll be posting chapters of my Young Adult Fantasy novel on wattpad. (First chapter already up!) It isn't published yet so you guys are the first to read it. I hope you'll check it out and let me know what you think... It's called Shadow Weaver. http://www.wattpad.com/myworks/38164695-shadow-weaver