Raven had pushed himself to his feet by then, controlling his face so as to hide the lingering wooziness he felt. The world still felt as if it shifted beneath his feet. Even with his vision blurred, he saw as Golden Dawn was struck by the young warrior. His adrenaline surged and he sprang toward the other player, forgetting himself and letting his anger show, “You would hit a young child!?”

            Panther and New Moon were arriving, but it would be too late to stop their near-son's actions of anger. Around the field, bets were exchanged with their focus shifting from the stickball game to the sudden fight. Some placed wagers on how many punches Raven would get in before being pulled away.

            The brave on the field spun on his heel; he hadn't even noticed that his stick struck the small one. He only saw one of the other players coming to attack him, and intended to play the game. His stance lowered and he swung a fist at his attacker.

            Raven no longer thought of himself as playing a game. Instead, he had let his anger overcome his judgment. Ducking under the punch, he kicked at the other and then jumped forward to tackle him to the ground. His knee slammed into the brave's chest, pinning him and knocking his knuckles into the young man's face. He was rearing back for another attack when strong hands grabbed him under his arms and dragged him away.

            Red Panther was furious, forcing himself to maintain outward calm as he yanked Raven to the side of the field. With calm control, he smoothly struck the back of the youngster's knees and drove him to a sitting position, “Your passion shows in every straining sinew and muscle. You will gain much in wisdom by resting for a moment to reflect on your action so that your future choices are so well thought out.”

            In a state of shock, Raven seemed dumbfounded at being moved so quickly from the fight back onto the side of the field. He barely registered that it was Panther who'd done it, “That careless fool meant to do that! He is one who has ridiculed her for the color of her hair! He obviously looks for a chance to strike at those he finds to be different!” With some difficulty, he tried to get back to his feet.

            Panther held his charge's shoulder firmly, pressing down so that Raven thumped back onto the dirt surface, “You show the stubborn ways of a buffalo, insistent upon your decision. I would be very surprised if you did not run from the herd in this state, so certain you are that you direction is true.”

            At the reference to his childhood name, Raven grimaced sourly, peering at the one who had tutored him, taken him in almost as a son, “You have not seen all that I have seen. Your eyes are clouded from your acceptance into this village. I still know the touch of coldness that exists when there is no belonging.”

            New Moon was holding Golden Dawn's hand as she walked. The little girl seemed fine, only looking to be concerned over the drama that erupted after she'd been hit. Moon glared with a stern expression for Raven's benefit, “Our girl is fine. She did not even cry after being struck, and she was up on her feet faster than you had managed.”

            Others began to gather around them now. From the talk that was whispered back and forth and a hushed exchanged of bets, it was obvious that most were shocked by Raven's outburst. There was noted approval for Panther's stern response, as well as the speech used toward the young halfbreed to mollify such childish actions.

            The game still sped forward to the side of them. Raven who Flies to Meet the Clouds had effectively been carried from the field. He had not made it to the end of the game and would lose face in that manner as well. His rash actions had cost him dearly.

            Panther crouched down beside his near-son with a pained expression on his face. He would have to fix this problem somehow. It was not the first time that the youngster came into trouble because of his inability to control emotions. The inhabitants of Chota Town knew this as well, and would look to Red Panther for how this problem would be handled. “Raven who Flies to Meet the Clouds. You have done well here, and have learned much in the way of your Cherokee side.”

            Raven had trouble matching that fierce gaze. He was beginning to realize how stupid his actions had been, and how it must look to the villagers. His performance would reflect poorly on Panther, who still took responsibility for its development. Though he often tried to keep the white man's custom of looking Panther in the eye as a sign of respect, this time he could hardly manage looking over the older man's shoulder as Cherokee custom dictated. As it had been for his entire life, he felt caught somewhere between the two ideals.

            It was James Fitzgerald that spoke now. Panther hardly thought of himself in that role anymore, and truly felt that Red Panther was his “true” name. James was his alter ego, the other version of himself. He spoke now in stern English rather than with the fluidity of their beloved tongue, “However, perhaps it is time for you to learn more of your other half's ways and lifestyle. I am going to send you away for a while.”

            The young half-breed started to respond, but James did not let him interrupt.

            “I am going to send you to a school of reading and writing, tactics and strategy. It will be in England. You can come back once you graduate from their course for young men. Hopefully, there you will learn to control yourself better. Perhaps you will find yourself along the way.”

            Raven only nodded, actually feeling somewhat relieved. Panther had taken him to England before, fully taking on the role of James Fitzgerald and dressing the other up as Raven Cloud for lessons and business meetings. In some ways, he looked forward to the trip. Perhaps he would be gone long enough for the others to forget his foolishness, remembering only the strength and ability. His face twisted with a faint scowl. Red Panther wishes to be rid of me, I am an embarrassment to him. The anger from before flared up, and he hung his head to hide his face.

            Panther stood, speaking in Cherokee again so as to announce his decision to the group. The village would all know now, and would see this for what it was. It was a punishment that could be seen as a temporary banishment. The nods of others showed their acceptance of the idea, and many spoke of Red Panther's continued wisdom.

            Golden Dawn gripped her mother's leg, holding back the tears she so dearly wanted to set free. Her most beloved companion was leaving her!   

 Here is the prologue to Raven’s Passion. I hope you enjoy this introduction. I will post a few pages each week. If you would like to read the story that started the adventure of Raven and Dawn you can find it here….Passion’s Vision

If you want to read more about Raven and Dawn and the love that develops between them you can find it here…..Passion’s Price