An Old Friend becomes a friend anew

Karl liked the new place, but Vladimir seemed kind of distant. He always liked to listen to Karl and smile. He would talk only when Karl made him. He would play his violin alone for hours. Karl just listened to the music sometimes. He would look at Vladimir's beautiful features and sigh.

He had no plans for the day, so he walked from his apartment to a nearby market he used to go to when he lived around there-with Ola. The memory of walking with her to that place was vivid in his mind. His anger towards Ola just flooded him. He thought of all the nights he spent crying alone over her. He remembered the fights and how they threw things. But, he also remembered how they would cook together. How her humor always threw him off and made him laugh. He realized that there wasn't a point to his anger anymore. He didn't want her body anymore. He didn't want her to be his girlfriend anymore, but he wanted his friend back. He was still mad for what she did to him, but no doubt she was equally as mad at him for just leaving. All of the anger and time he had wasted was towards being mad, and maybe it was time to stop. Maybe it was time for talking to each other again.

He decided to call her. He had gotten no responses from his texts, but still.

"Hello, this is Karl."

"I know. Caller ID."

"Right, yeah."

"So I guess you didn't call by mistake."

"Nope."

"Disappointing."

"Do you hate me."

"Karl-"

"Just answer. Yes or no."

"No."

"The truth is I miss you."

"You know, we were very good friends, you know, before."

"You want me to come see you. You are at the market and you feel nostalgic."

"How did you-?"

Karl hung up.

"Hey."

"Nice to see you."

Karl looked at the woman in front of him. He had seen her at the office, but he tried to avoid her and he hadn't really looked at her. She was tall, and she wore a long coat and scarf. She wore jeans the showed off her curves. Her hair was different than when Karl lived with her. It was shorter and the tips were bleached. He remembered suddenly how beautiful he always thought she was. How her dark skin was so smooth and perfect and her lipstick was always perfect. She wore gold lipstick today.

"I need advice," Karl began with.

"Well?"

"I'm having communication issues with my roommate."

"I know the kind." Ola smiled.

Karl protested then resigned. "Not like that kind."

"Fine. What's happening then?"

"I have a new roommate. His name is Vladimir and he's Russian and he's hot as fuck."

"Have you totally fallen for him?"

"No!" Ola raised her eyebrows. "Maybe. Fine! I totally have and he's so distant..."

"What about cooking him dinner. Then he'd have to eat with you."

"You know, I think that's an excellent idea."

"I know. I am always full of great ideas."

"Of course you are." Karl laughed, and Ola did too.

"So how's your love life?"

"Pretty dull."

"We should all go out sometime."

"You know the crappy club we used to go to?"

"Yeah..."

"It changed hands. It's now an amazing place."

"Sounds great."

"So what are you gonna make for him?"

"I was thinking to do polenta with mushrooms."

"That dish certainly seduced me."

"It's a go."

"Great."

"I guess Aleks told you that we are living together now."

"They did."

"I asked them to. They did worry you'd think they changed sides or something."

"I did think that, but I can't blame them."

"So does this mean you changed sides too?"

"Yep."

"I'm sorry I hurt you."

"I'm also sorry I hurt you."

"I did something crazy after you left."

"What was that?"

"I started hooking up with girls. I know I always said I was straight, but sometimes they can be really hot."

"I am completely aware. I'm glad you came to that realization." Karl laughed.

"I still usually go for guys, but I can have fun, right?"

"Yes. It's always more fun when you have options." Karl winked.

"All right. It was really nice to see you. I guess with Aleks living with you, I'll see you around."

"Good luck with your new hot friend."

Karl was so glad that he had reunited himself with Ola. She really was one of his best friends. He bought the mushrooms for the dish, and called Vladimir. His talk with Ola had instilled confidence in him.

"Hey are you going to be around tonight?"

"Why?"

"I'm gonna cook dinner for us."

"Okay. Is this a date?"

"Yes, very much so."