The Sick and Injured

Start from the beginning

Mel squared away the bill, paying for both Tyson and I. The receptionist informed her that Tyson had tried to pay before leaving, but they'd refused his money as per Dr. Greenburg's request. I smiled. The good doctor definitely knew a thing or two about Tyson if she'd warned the receptionist beforehand. I had a feeling he would've tried paying for himself. He seemed the type of person to only accept help under heavy protest. Very independent and always wary of others. And for him to be that way, I had to wonder if something major had happened in his life, or if he had always been this way.

After paying, Mel helped me to her car and had me home in no time. The last thing I remembered before drifting off into a deep sleep was taking two tiny pills with a sip of water and Mel whispering something into my ear. It sounded like "Sweet dreams", but I couldn't be sure.

I was dragged into the land of consciousness by a dull yet persistent ache encompassing the left side of my head. Not ready to join the living, I tried to ignore it, rolling over to get more comfortable. Big mistake. I cried out as various sharp pains erupted over my back and right shoulder, opening my bleary eyes in shock. Trying to make it stop, I rolled back over the other way - and crashed into Riley, who until that point had obviously been sound asleep. He sat bolt upright, the sleep clearing from his eyes a lot slower than the speed at which his body was moving.

"Noah?" he asked, his voice sleep heavy. "What's wrong? Is it your head or your shoulder?"

I groaned in response as tears formed in the corners of my eyes, unable to force words past the growing agony in my shoulder, and now my head.

His hands reached out to grab me, and in one smooth but painful motion he dragged me upright into a sitting position. For a second, the pain in my shoulder flared to unbearable heights, but slowly receded when my brother settled me back onto some pillows. I gasped for air, and shivered as cool air hit the thick layer of sweat coating my arms, neck and face.

"Better?" he asked, eyes full of concern. He pulled my comforter up high, tucking it under my chin.

I grunted an affirmative, then leaned left slightly so my head was resting gently on his shoulder. Without a word, Riley nestled closer, making me more comfortable against him. We stayed silent for a few minutes, me breathing heavily against the aches and pains, and him giving me time to do so.

"What's the time?" I said at last, and was surprised when my voice cracked. It sounded like I hadn't used it in days. My throat was parched, and a foul taste resided on my tongue.

He checked his watch. "Just after midnight."

"What?" Had I really slept the last seven hours away?

"Yeah," he said as if in answer to my thoughts. "You've been sleeping like the dead for several hours now. But Mel has been in and out, waking you periodically to check for any changes."

"Really? I don't remember."

He looked sideways at me, and I could feel more than see the humour on his face, though worry was still present. "Well, going by the incoherent mumblings you gave in response, I'd say you weren't entirely pleased with being disturbed."

I attempted a smile, but it felt more like a grimace. With the pounding ache in both my head and shoulder it was no wonder. "I bet if she'd brought ice cream every time she'd woken me, I would have been more than happy."

Riley's laughter was soothing to my ears. A comfort that I was in desperate need of. I found myself relaxing, cuddling even closer to him. "I did suggest that, but got an earful about bad habits and unhealthy eating. I hope she doesn't find the stack of takeout menus in the otherwise empty fruit bowl."