Thorin: Mute

This story takes place before the fall of Erebor

.

Melodie's POV:

.

I walked through Dale just like any other day. Some people told me hello, others simply waved, and some didn't say anything. But today was a little different then others. Today I was heading to the kingdom of Erebor. I was hired by a dwarf named Balin. He learned that I lived on my own and had no family, nor job, so he  said the Prince needed a maid and offered me the job along with a good home and hot food. I naturally accepted. Why wouldn't I?

Now what was the Prince's name? Thor? Thortin? It was Thor something though I couldn't remember clearly.

I got to the gate of Erebor, Balin there to greet me. I wasn't a dwarf, but I only stood about an inch or two taller than Balin, so I guessed the Prince would be slightly taller than me.

"Hello Melodie, come with me dear." Balin said and I followed.

"Hello lass." Dwalin greeted as we passed. I smiled at him, giving him a small wave. "Thorin will be lucky to have a pretty one like you to see every day lassy." He told with a smile. THORIN! That was his name.

Balin continued to lead me through Erebor until we got to Prince Thorin's room. Balin knocked a couple times before entering, me following behind. "Hello lad." Balin greeted Thorin. "I told you that I got you a maid, this is her." He said and gestured to me. I gave him a smile and a small wave as the prince stood there. I didn't realize he was going to be this handsome. He was well built and you could drown looking into his blue eyes. "Her name is Melodie." Balin told.

"I'm sure she can speak for herself." Thorin spoke, and oh my Durin his voice is... in a word, heavenly.

"Actually no she can't lad." Balin told him.

"I'm mute."  I signed to Thorin though he probably didn't know sign language, but probably figured out what I said.

"Oh, my apologies miss. I did not know." Thorin said as he took my hand and kissed it.

I felt like I was going to faint right then and there. This absolutely gorgeous man has a wonderful voice, beautiful eyes, seems to be so gentleman-like, AND kissed my hand. I just met the man and I feel like I could fall in love with him.

I pushed my thoughts of the prince from my head and smiled to him. "Perhaps you can teach me some sign language." Thorin told me and gave me a small smile.

"Ah, well Melodie you start tomorrow, but you should probably get to know Thorin better." Balin said as he patted my shoulder lightly. I nodded to him and he left.

"Do you need anything?" I signed to him.

Thorin looked at my hands, then to me. "I'm sorry I have no idea what you said." He told.

I couldn't help but laugh at his statement. Of course it was mainly silent, but it was still laughing to me. Thorin smiled at me, laughing slightly himself. I gestured with my hands as if I were writing on paper.

Thorin handed me a pen and paper along with a book for me to press down on. I wrote my question if he needed anything and showed him.

"I'm fine honestly. If I need you to do something I will tell you." Thorin told me. "Maybe you can teach me some sign language at the moment though." Thorin said and led me to sit on his bed with him.

I smiled and nodded. "Prince" I signed and pointed to him.

"Does that mean 'you'?" He asked. I smiled more and shook my head and wrote the word prince down on the paper. "I'm curious. How do you address someone by name?" He asked.