Fili: Blame

*This story takes place after the journey assuming Fili and Kili survived.*

Fili's POV:

"What's wrong with you?" Kili said as he entered the room. "It's your coronation, you should be happy." Kili sat next to me on the bed.

"I shouldn't be king." I told him. "Thorin should."

"Fi-" He started but I interrupted.

"It's my fault he's dead Ki!" I told. "I should have listened to him."

Kili sighed, putting his hand on my shoulder. "Fi, we were both at fault, not just you. Thorin died valiantly. He died a great king, so the least we can do is honor him." Kili told me. "He taught you to be a great king, so stop blaming yourself. He would be happy to see you king."

I gave him a smirk and sighed. "You're probably right." I said and stood.

"Plus Maya will be there." Kili told me.

Maya? She's basically my best friend. I haven't seen her since before the journey. "She will? How do you know?"

"Because she's standing at the doorway." And female voice spoke. I turned around and smiled once I saw her. Her blonde hair was in messy braids as usual, her face shaven. She never did like facial hair on her. She often shaved so, as she put it, she looks more human.

She smiled and practically ran to me, wrapping her arms around my neck. "I'm so happy your safe." She said. "I fear something terrible would happen to you."

"Well Kili almost died, and Thorin..." I sighed and she gave me a sympathetic smile.

"I'll miss him too." She said. "He practically raised me as well." She turned Kili, hugging him as well. "You almost died?"

"I got shot with a poison arrow." He said as if it was nothing. "Tauriel saved my life actually."

"Tauriel? Oh that elf girl I saw." She said and turned to me. "You should be ready. I don't think a future king appears in a long shirt and sleeping trousers."

I looked down at my apparel, and gave a shrug of my shoulders. "I wish I could honestly."

"If you do that you will be wishing you were dead because your mother will never let you hear the end of it." Maya said with a laugh. "You haven't seen your mother yet have you? Kili go get her. She got stopped by Balin and Dwalin on her way here." Maya said. Kili nodded and left to find mother. "You should have heard her on the way here." Maya gave me a smile. "She was both thrilled, proud, but also sad."

I nodded. "That's the second brother she lost... not even counting Father. It seems like we've dealt with too much sorrow."

Maya sighed and sat down on my bed. "Remember that day we got stuck in the mud pit?" She said. "We were all so little we couldn't reach to get out."

I smirked at the memory and went sit down beside her. "Thorin is the one who got us out, but not before we covered him in mud."

"I remember that day because it was the first day I really ever saw your uncle laugh." Maya told me.

(Flashback in 3rd pov)

"Fili look!" Maya shouted as she saw the big mud pit. Fili came running over, little Kili not far behind. "I bet this is a lot of fun!"

Fili laughed and didn't hesitate. He jumped and slid down into the mud pit, Maya and Kili following.

Fili grabbed a handful of mud, throwing it to Maya, and getting her dress all dirty. She threw some back to him and it didn't take long for a mud fight to start.