The Stars Are Crazy

Stevie is relaxing, sitting on the padded ledge of the huge picture window looking out at the Pacific Ocean in her Pacific Palisades condo. It's about five thirty in the afternoon on Valentine's day.

  A delevery man was just here bringing Stevie the lovely assortment of roses Lindsey has sent her. She also read the short note attached in his handwriting. There is a dining room full of flowers, cards and other presents sent to her by friends and family but Lindsey's gift is the one she looks forward to every year.

  What she hasn't enjoyed is the constant pressure and guilt from Lindsey and the other members of Fleetwood Mac, minus John, to come in and work on their record. Stevie has really enjoyed her solo tour and being in charge. She has no interest in going into the studio at sixty eight years old and spending a year arguing with Lindsey about arrangements and setlists.

  The thing that hurt her the most is the announcement that Fleetwood Mac's unfinished record was going to be turned into a duet between Lindsey and Christine and called Buckingham McVie. In press interviews she shrugs the whole Buckingham McVie thing off but on the inside she's very disappointed Lindsey has disrespected her and their wonderful little album made years ago when they where young and in love.

  These are several of the reasons Stevie hasn't seen or spoken to Lindsey in several months. The main reason is she thinks

  "I'm tired of all the sneaking around. I need a man I can go on vacation with, attend The Grammy's together or even just enjoy a nice dinner out with. Lindsey has got a family to go back to and I'm left alone. I would like someone to spend these last years with and this never ending thing with Lindsey just isn't working for me. Even though I love him with all my heart."

  Karen interrupts her thoughts by coming in and saying to Stevie

  "Do you want me to order any supper for you before I leave?"

  Stevie responds

  "I'm fine Karen thank you."

  Karen asks

  "Do you have a hot date from one of your admirers?'

  "You certainly received more Valentine's day gifts today than most women get in their whole life!"

  Both women laugh then Stevie responds

  "No I'll be staying in tonight like I do most nights."

  Karen goes over and hugs Stevie and says

  "I figured he'd be coming over tonight, I think you know full well how I feel about him."

  "I wish he'd quit stringing you along and make a decision for once in his life!"

  "You deserve much better, and I say that not only because your my boss."

  "Your my friend too."

  Stevie responds

  "Don't worry Karen, I after tonight I'm afraid you most likely won't have to worry about him anymore."

  Karen frowns wondering what exactly is going on but decides to let it go. She knows if Stevie doesn't want to tell her something it's useless to try and make her.

  Karen leaves and Stevie goes over to her stack of records piled up next to her stereo system. She looks through them until she finds one of Lindsey's albums, Seeds We Sow.