She's probably scared as f right now and it's all my fault.

I should have watched over her more carefully.

What kind of lame saviour am I supposed to be?

Suddenly, a nearby window popped open, making me jump.

I quickly dove into a nearby bush so that the evil man wouldn't see me.

I tried to lower my heart rate as I peered out of the bush towards the window.

A man stuck his head out of the window, looking around.

I almost did a spit take when I first laid eyes on him.

Jen was a spitting image if him.

The soft eyes, the delicate nose, everything was the same.

Except the fact that Jen wasn't a drunk. And Jen wasn't old. And Jen was attractive.

The man sneered, breathing in the clean outside air.

His grin made me want to throw up.

He's so drunk he doesn't even realize what he is doing.

He's hurting his very own child.

The thought sickened me.

I watched silently as he pulled his head back in the house a few minutes later, shutting the window tight and locking it.

I guess that's not an escape route any longer.

After counting to 100 in my head, I cautiously got out of the bush and walked towards the window.

When I looked inside, all I saw was an empty kitchen.

No one was in there and I knew I had to move on if I was going to find Jen.

But something made me stay for longer than I should.

Maybe it was how the kitchen was much tidier than I expected.

Maybe it was the intoxicating smell escaping through the window.

Or maybe it was the fact that my eyes were glued to the family portrait hanging on the wall.

On it was a beautiful woman, smiling as if she didn't have a care in the world. She was definitely beautiful and her face looked very familiar.

Beside her stood a man, the man that I had seen a few minutes before, but in the picture he was much younger.

He held the woman's hand and smiled from ear to ear.

He was definitely happy.

Finally, I found my eyes glued to the young girl who stood in between them.

She looked about 7 and wore a beautiful, careless smile as well. Her hair was tied back in long pig-tails and she wore ribbons in her hair.

The man's hand was on her head and her head was tilted slightly, looking up at him with that smile.

I realized that that must be Jen.

And the man her father.

So the woman must be her mother.

And that must have been taken a year before the accident at most.

I thought that Jen looked like her father but after seeing her mother I knew that she looked exactly like her mother.

Maybe that's why her father is so cruel to her. Because simply seeing her face reminds him of his deceased wife.

I breathed deeply, strengthening myself for what was ahead before I stood up, pulling my eyes away from the photo.