08 · The Tears of the Nurse

Start from the beginning

Returning back to my regular position, I continued to stare at the cat and almost didn't want to drink it away.  

                                                     +      +      +

Two hours passed, and I was still stuck on problem number three.  

I was nowhere near solving whatever I needed to find. My drink was already gone, along with the sandwich Eric had bought me earlier since he "owed" me for how he has been acting lately. Even though I insisted that he was being too dramatic about the matter, I was always grateful for a friend like Eric.  

Growing frustrated, I dropped my pencil and leaned back on the chair. As I rubbed my temples, I thought it'd be the best idea to take a short bathroom break and hopped down the stool. Observing the perimeter, Soulatte Café wasn't as busy anymore. There were still people occupying the couches and tables. Even though the line grew sporadically, it became more manageable for the males working in the front and the kitchen. 

Once I got out of the bathroom, I found Eric making a few drinks.  

Walking over to him, I called out from the thin glass barrier that separated us, "Eric, you busy?" 

His dark brown eyes looked like he already predicted what I was up to, but he still answered with a no.  

When I clapped my hands and asked for his help, Eric exhaled slowly before he turned around to glance at the clock. After Eric finished the drink he was working on, he politely handed it to the waiting customer before lightly nudging Kenneth who was crafting a mouth-watering waffle with vanilla ice cream and chopped fruits on top.  

"I'm gonna take my break. You good?" 

Kenneth gave a short nod which left him and the other three employees responsible for the front. Joshua was currently working in the kitchen. While Eric took off his apron, I gave him a look of gratitude as we walked back to where I was sitting.  

Taking the stool next to me, Eric grinned in a teasing matter. "Physics?"  

"Yes! I'm so close to throwing this useless textbook out the window." 

"Now, we don't want that to happen." Eric chuckled as his eyes scanned the textbook.  

After a minute, Eric asked for a pencil and paper, and I handed it over in a blink of an eye.  

Leave it to Eric Park who can transform one of the world's toughest subjects — according to me — into elementary school level. His explanations were crystal clear and made me realize that I was overanalyzing all the simple things. Eric managed to explain the whole two chapters in a span of fifteen minutes, and I was able to solve the gruesome problem three with no hesitation.  

Giving him a hug, he shrugged in return. "Don't mention it. Are you staying until closing?" 

Pursing my lips at first, I answered, "I'm not sure yet since my mom should be coming home around that time. I really want to get this all done though." 

"You will. Let me know if you need any more help." 

I smiled in thanks before I ended up asking, "So, is Joshua fit for the job?" 

Eric didn't mind my question and answered through an honest tone, "He's a fast learner, and a lot of customers like him. You know what? I think Joshua has a fan club formed because a lot of girls regularly stop by." 

Not knowing why I felt a bit struck by the news of Joshua having a "fan club", I could only imagine how all of this was getting to Joshua's head. I bet his ego danced whenever he worked.