08 · The Tears of the Nurse

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, so far so good." 

"Glad to hear," Kenneth contently replied. "Let me guess? You look like you're in the mood for a green tea latte!" 

Releasing a bashful laugh, I nodded at his expanded knowledge. Kenneth quickly rang me up and handed me the change and receipt. Thanking him, I gave Kenneth another smile until he stopped me. 

There was a cryptic expression on Kenneth's face. "Got your eyes on the new guy, huh?" 

In disbelief with what I heard, my lips only parted. Not daring to ask again, I shook my head as an immediate answer.  

Kenneth chuckled before he nodded, letting the topic drop. A little flustered being put on the spot like that, I didn't hesitate to head back to my spot. 

While I waited for my order, I promptly pulled my textbook out of my backpack to start my dreaded physics homework. Because I forgot to do my homework last time, Mr. Brenner allowed students to make up three late assignments. Looking over the chapter and then the problems, I already knew this was going to be a long night for me.  

Grabbing my pencil from the pouch of my bag, I nearly jolted from surprise when I heard someone say from behind. 

"Nurse Sandpaper, here's your green tea latte." 

Looking over my shoulder, Joshua was standing before me with my order in his hand. A mischievous grin occupied his face because of my reaction.  

Fully shifting to face him, my eyes dropped into thin slits. "Nurse Sandpaper?" 

"You like it?" Joshua placed the mug down a fair distance from my school work and claimed proudly, "I came up with the name while I was making your order." 

Feeling the flush of red on my cheeks, I huffed, "No, it's horrible!" 

"No, it's because your hands were as rough as sandpaper that one time. I hope you started using something called lotion." 

"Go eat shit," I hissed. 

Hearing Joshua's laugh in reply made me snap a glare at him.  

However, my expression softened when I noticed how the edges of Joshua's eyes crinkled a bit as he covered his laughter. Joshua looked adorable that it sickened me for having those thoughts. Ignoring him, I pulled the mug closer to me and looked at the latte art.  

I arched an eyebrow. "What... is that?" 

"It's a cat." 

Taking a closer look, the white foam shaping of the cat was actually well done. The cheeks of the cat was blushing red, and the cat even wore a bow on the top center of its head. Everything about the cartoon cat seemed right except the identical, oversized brown circles that I assumed were the eyes.  

"Why does this cat have such huge eyes?" I asked. 

Joshua expressed nonchalantly, "Even though it's not hazel, it matches how big your eyes are." 

I retaliated, "My eyes aren't that big!" 

"Okay, I might have over-exaggerated," Joshua noted, "your eyes are nice to look at though, Nurse Sandpaper." 

Although that nickname Joshua gave me was nothing but distasteful, my heart skipped when I heard Joshua comment about my eyes. That caused me to shut up. Glancing back at him, I noticed pass his shoulder that people were still coming in and out for drinks and desserts. 

"Thanks," I returned back to hide my embarrassment, "but, I'm going to come up with a better name for you." 

"Good luck with that. Enjoy," Joshua commented with a faint smile before he walked back to the front.