Chapter 8

It was silent for the first few minutes in the car as Ron and I drove back to my place.  Then Ron began to make some understandable exasperated comments of unbelief that typically come after experiences you never think that you will have to endure.  He then asked me to recount my day in detail.  I did so but stopped myself from mentioning the other creature that the truck driver had mentioned.  

When we parted ways the sun had already set.  And when I sat down in my recliner my mind wandered to the woods and wondered if somewhere in the darkness there was a creature that nobody would truly believe existed roaming the hills.

I fell asleep.  When I woke up the sun was just coming up over the hill that I could see outside my front window.  It’s light shown on my legs and warmed them.  I glanced at the clock.  

After breakfast, I sat down and typed out my story.  I still felt obligated to do that.  However, I wrote two versions.  One took into account all that had truly transpired.  I concluded that it was more an act of therapy when I had pulled the final sheet from the cylinder.  It was my chance to pour out what I had gone through, my doubts and confusion, onto the paper; as if to spill the beans to somebody that would listen.  It had been a healing experience to hear the thuds and dings of my faithful friend consoling me as I typed.

I then felt clear to write another account, one that I felt would sound more like how the story would be spun in the mainstream, but I wasn’t satisfied with it.  However, I put it in a large envelope and labeled it for the Gazette.  

I stared at the envelope.  I remembered Milo's remarks about not letting anyone have a monopoly on this.  I cringed at the remark.  This thing was going to explode.  There was no way to contain it. There was no way that it could be neatly cleaned up.  And I felt some blame, some guilt and a strange sense of rising defiance.  I wasn’t even sure of what I felt defiant against or even why I felt it. I had a vague feeling that the source of these feelings was “the other one”.  That other creature in the woods.  I whispered aloud.   "This is a lead that I can’t turn down.”  

I rose and made myself a cup of tea.  As I sat down and sipped it, I stared at the calendar on my kitchen wall.  I was thinking that Ron probably had never gone to sleep last night.  And knowing him, and how he likes to be well rested before he tackles a big project, he will probably decide to get some rest before making any phone calls today.    With any luck he will be exhausted and sleep deep and long in to the afternoon.  Perhaps he won't be able to reach anybody today?  But, even if he does, will whoever he calls takes him seriously?  If they do, I’m sure they will be in the area by tomorrow afternoon.  If they don’t….

“Who am I kidding.  Ron is the king of persuasion.”  I said out loud before I took another sip of tea.  I thought about this fact.  Even if they don’t believe him, he will have somebody come out to check on his claims.  That means I have, at most, a day and a half.  Ok.  I am resolved.  I put the cup of tea down and stood up, again glancing at the calendar and then the clock.

"Frank old boy, what are you going to do?  I know what I am going to do.”

As I stood there watching the second hand on the clock slowly move, the world outside seemed muffled.  Inside it was peaceful though.  I felt secluded and secure as if I were in the womb.  But it was time for me to be born again.  To be alive.  It was time for me to live outside of my comfort zone.  I took a pad and pen from the desk drawer and began to make a short list to help me organize my thoughts.

backpack

granola bars

binoculars

water

camera

recorder

pocket knife

I looked at the clock again and estimated how long before I could make it to the site of where the first unicorn had been hit by the logging truck.  Half hour at most.  I dressed for a long hike in the woods and loaded my backpack.