1.1 [tw: Mentions of Abuse]

Chapter One - Useful Lightening

Rain harshly blew against the glass as Lezleigh leaned her head against the wooden pane. The sky was a dark gray color as the clouds poured down in an almost angry way. It calmed the young girls racing heart as she struggled to draw breath into her lungs.

Moments ago, the girls mother had been in her room, the stench of alcohol had immediately filled the empty space. Insults had been screamed and the girl had been slapped and pushed around countless times until the older woman got bored. In a failed attempt to get away, Lezleigh was harshly pushed to the ground and a kick was sent into her lower abdomen.

Her door was slammed closed and she laid on the ground for a few moments more. Once she got up enough strength, she stood up and drug her feet to her window were she currently was sitting on the ledge looking out. She longed to be free and to be a normal girl with a normal life, but that wasn't possible.

Ever since she was a born, Lezleigh had been on her own. Her father was no where in her life and she often wondered if he never wanted her. She assumes that her mother had been drinking ever since then or even before, but it got worse with time. At eight years old, her mother hit her for the first time and has never stopped.

It was a never ending fear that her mothers actions would escalate to an even worse fate, but she held on to a hope that one day, she would be free from the woman's reins. Free to live a life without the fear of never waking up. Free to live a happy life with her father or with her best friend.

Now, you may be wondering why she couldn't do those things. Simple, call the police, have Diane arrested and be done with it! Well, not everything is as simple as it should be. Lezleigh had tried to get away, she went to the police station in town on her own, but when investigated by the crappy cops, her mother acted innocent and pretended that Lezleigh was an attention seeking child and that was it.

Her best friend, Olivia, and her father, Emmet, had also tried to call the cops, but that investigation was put to rest too. Every attempt to help her was futile as the cops never gave a damn and were too lazy to dig deeper and take notes of the cuts and bruises covering her body.

A hospital was off limits, her mother made sure to never hurt her bad enough to force her to become admitted because she didn't want to give up her power over Lezleigh just yet. She made sure to implant it in her daughters mind that if she ever tried to go to a hospital, she wouldn't wake up the next day. So, she had no choice but to suffer through the pain in silence.

Today though, today felt different. As she was staring out the window, she couldn't help but wonder what it was. As if the universe had somehow heard her thoughts, the lights flickered and suddenly went out, consuming her in darkness.